1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Going Crazy for Italian Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by pauljmjr, Apr 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

I've been smoking a pipe on and off for 40 years. During that time, I have built up only a very modest collection of pipes -- both in number (around 15) and cost (none more than $100 new). Two years ago, I got back into the hobby big time after a few years off. Since starting back in with the pipe, I've bought five new pipes, and although it wasn't intentional, all of them are Italian pipes. So in the last two years, I've picked up the following: two Radices, a Savinelli, a Luciano, and just today the UPS man delivered my first ever Claudio Cavicchi. Although the Radices and the Cavicchi were more expensive than what I've even previously spent for a pipe, they were still very reasonable -- especially considering their quality.
    The Savinelli is a lower end model -- and is a very solid, if not spectacular pipe. The Luciano is quite interesting, as it is one of the ones that the Radice family hand finished. It really is a terrific and beautiful pipe, and it smokes great, although the draft hole is quite large -- and for a heavy puffer like me -- that sometimes makes for a rather short smoke (that's my bad). The Radices are just incredible pipes -- all hand-made and simply fantastic smokers. Very, very hard to find that quality out there for the price. The Cavicchi on the other hand is out of this word. As much as I love the Radices, there is something about Claudio Cavicchi's pipes that makes them truly special. I had read a lot about them on this and other pipe sites. I finally took the plunge. And everything that people praise them for I found to be true. He uses fantastic briar, the fit and finish is unsurpassed, and it is astonishing that he sells such beautiful creations for such a low cost. Yes, his very highest grade pipes can be over $1500, but for around $200 to $300 you can get (new) one of his pipes that is of fantastic quality -- certainly as good or better than many artisan pipes that cost much, much more. I have no association whatsoever with any of these manufacturers. But I just had to share what I think are some great deals out there on some truly exceptional briars.
    Here's a picture of the new Cavicchi:
    [​IMG][/URL]

2. NeverKnowsBest

NeverKnowsBest Member

I am not sure if I like the shape or finish more on that pipe. It's so dynamic and stylish!

I'm a big fan of Cavicchi pipes, but I think I prefer the generally cleaner/classic Italian aesthetic of Radice more. I like both of those, including Ser Jacopo, Don Carlos, Posella, etc., more than I like Castello.

3. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

If I were forced to smoke only Radices or Cavicchis, I think I 'd be a very happy puffer! Great smokers both.

Mount Mandolin and jpberg like this.
  4. esteban

esteban Active Member

could that be considered a Zulu/Dublin.....? snazzy pipe I love my Lorenzos. Never cared for my Castello.....

5. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

Cavicchi classified it as a Zulu, which I've never had before. I love it - very nice in the hand.

6. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Nice looking Zulu..ish pipe. Curious question...what is the lenght ?

7. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Cavicchi makes a nice pipe for sure. Those Italians do good work.:byg:

8. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I had a Stefano & an Armellini. They were gorgeous pipes & great smokers, but I let them go because they were 9mm filter pipes.. which I don't smoke anymore.
    My only Italian now is a Radice twin-bore, and its fast becoming one of my favorites, smokes fantastic & has great balance, plus it has a nice story behind it.

Spillproof and Mount Mandolin like this.
  9. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

It's almost 6 1/2 inches long in total. Has a nice deep 1.8 inch chamber. Very light though.

Jeebs likes this.
  10. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

My two Radices are incredible -- although neither are the twin bore system. But man are they great smokers.

11. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Thanks, for some reason the pic made the pipe look short to me. Real nice pipe.

12. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

A Cavicchi is a great pipe, same for Radice and Castello. I own primarily British briar, but love my couple of Italians.

13. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I've decided that any new pipe I buy [ after the PSF POY pipe ] .. will be a Savinelli Prince until I have one from each finish . Either that or I'll buy [ over time ] the entire line of Savinelli Tevere . I was just talkin to my wife about this last night . I think for the money [ $ 66 ] the Tevere [ blasted ] is a great great pipe in nice shapes . I used to have a number of Ascorti New Deer , back in the day .. they were my favorite and , imo ... a new style of rustication

Thuber88 and pauljmjr like this.
  14. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

That's a beauty. Viking has a Rinaldo on his site that is shaped very similar. I think I look at it twice a day.

I'm with you on the Italian pipes. This past Christmas I started feeding the PAD dragon again: 2 Radices, 2 Ser Jacopos, a Sav Auto, and a L'Anatra. All of them smoke better than any of my other briars with the exception of the one Tinsky I own. Mid-range Italian is definitely the best bang for your buck.

pauljmjr likes this.
  15. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Yeah, I lust after that Rinaldo myself. All the time. It's bigger than I'd like, so I won't be buying it, but man is it beautiful.

And I've been wanting a Radice and a Caminetto lately. I really prefer English pipes to other countries, but the premium that English pipes demand these days puts them out of my reach a lot of the time. Not that the Italians are much better, really. Cavicchi makes beautiful pipes at a much more reasonable price than Castello, but I still haven't gotten around to getting one yet.

16. jdto

jdto Active Member

I have a Ser Jacopo Billiard that is a champ. It's chunky and has a really substantial bowl, but is really comfortable to smoke. I opened the draw a touch with a 5/32 drill bit which made it one of my top pipes along with the BSTs and Tinskys.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.