Good Blends For Smoking On The Move

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ruffinogold, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Dondi said he liked smoking condor while on the move in another post .. which got me thinking. What is it about a blend that makes it good on the move ? and which blends ? ... For me lately , its been sail green . It burns very well and is light enough to smoke while active . It's alittle aromatic and spicy as hell which makes up for it being lighter than normal for me

2. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Hello,

I have a few I "smoke on the move" doing things like yard work, driving, or anything else that inhibits me from sitting a relaxing. The blends tend to be blends I like, but ones that are not in my standard rotation. What qualifies an "On the move" tobacco. Mine are the ones I don't mind if I don't smoke all the way through, drop in the yard, have to stop due to the environment, and they pack/light easily. So, which ones do I smoke on the go? Here they are....

Larry's Blend
    Sunjammer
    A blend of all my "almost gone" tobaccoes I toss into a mason jar - Most are from a Hearth and Home sampler

Z

3. Marc

Marc Active Member

I would say any ready rubbed tobacco I can load from the pouch works for me, like Carter Hall, Cherry Blend, Prince Albert, Walnut etc. All are easy to carry, easy to load and light and easy to smoke. To me, pipe smoking is not a ritual; it's a way to enjoy a tobacco anywhere, anytime and on the go. All the tobaccos I smoke on a regular basis fall into this category. https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/puffy.gif

4. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I look for several things in a tobacco for when I am on the go. It needs to be easy to pack, easy to light and easy to smoke. Needs to keep lit and not need me to pay attention to keep from scortching my tongue. In addition, I do a whole lot outdoors and the wind becomes an issue. There are some blends that have my pipe hot, hot without me even taking any draws on the pipe, just from the wind.

In general I have had good luck with flakes for outdoor on-the-go smokes. Fold it, stuff it, light it, puff it. Nice and compact to carry. Seems like I have less issue with wind and can tend to get them to burn a bit cooler when it is windy. Maybe it is just my imagination or my packing technique for flakes vs loose. Some flakes I do have to pay attention to in order to keep from burning my tongue but others are not bad.

I was out fishing friday evening and the wind was blowing steady 20 mph with gusts much higher. I smoked a couple bowls of Mac B Navy Flake and it worked out well.

5. Marc

Marc Active Member

Glenn, flake tobaccos are ideal for outdoor smoking and rubbed out great for indoor smoking. :lol:

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

I'm with Marc - my hobbies are hill walking, trekking and cycling - I look for an OTC Flake that I can get anywhere and is fairly robust in flavour, slow burning and at least medium strength. In the UK, that means Condor Long Cut, St. Bruno or something like EA Carey's Dark Flake No 7 ( of which I always keep some supplies )

Gerry

7. phinz

phinz Active Member

PA is my car-washing, garage-cleaning smoke. I keep a 14 oz. tin of it and a Falcon just for such things.

8. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

what he said! :)

9. doskopanda

doskopanda Member

backwood black n gold is my choice

10. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

when i'm driving erinmore flake is a favorite. my car isn't windy though, and it is a PITA in most pipes in any kind of weather.

outdoors i tend to stick to ribbon cut stuff, westmorland is a favorite at the moment.

11. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I really like Erinmore Flake too, dubhdarra. Funny you say you smoke it while driving, I keep a tin of it in my truck too. I have a tin of MacB Navy Flake and a tin of Erinmore Flake that I keep in there along with two cobs.

Speaking of, I need to order some more Erinmore Flake.

12. wataru

wataru Member

I use the local B&M house blends when Im doing outside stuff. I dont drive while smoking though.

Ol' Times Jolly Roger (which Im out of, dagnabbit!), Ol' Times Morning Mist and/or Ol' Times Montego Bay. Theyre all aromatic, and burn nicely without bite with thick heavy smoke.

In mixed company - like drinking or movie watching - I'll smoke PA, CH or CBW. All my friends from work love PA's smell. I hope to introducce my fresh pouch of CBW to them soon..

(BTW my mother loves CBW)

13. Marc

Marc Active Member

PA is reminiscent of the old time pipe tobacco smell people associate with pipe smoking.

14. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

any time i have a burley in my pipe i'm practically guaranteed to have a middle aged lady come up and yell excitedly "is that half and half? my grandpa smoked half and half! you smell like my grandpa!" and spend five minutes apologizing that she didn't mean when he needed his colostomy bag changed.

15. Marc

Marc Active Member

You ain't right! https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/hahaha-024.gif

16. CBR

CBR Member

I prefer what I call my "unbiteable blends". Captain Black or 1792 in a cob and I'm off to the races, I can change my oil and not worry about my puff rate (or getting the pipe dirty).

17. SBritton

SBritton Member

See, this is the type of info that needs to be on that list I mentioned. I think I am going to start keeping one.
    A list of general good information on pipe smoking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.