good choices for a n00b?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by loaf, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loaf

loaf Member

its coming closer to my first order of pipe, cleaning gear, tool, and most importantly, some baccy.

im thinking of buying two different brands for starters, see what direction i want to head in, ive done some looking up at tobaccoreviews.com and i think i shall start with a 25g tin of st.bruno's and a 25g tin of condor long cut.

from what i read, one of these is rather mild and the other much stronger, is this your experience? have a picked anything likely to induce tongue bite in this rookie, or anything thats simply too strong for my ambitious gums?

any advice is appreciated. :cheers:

(sorry for bugging with new topics of newb questions, but i want to get a good start and dont want to put myself off a potential relaxing hobby)

2. Njemt527

Njemt527 Member

Now I havent been doing this for years on end, but IMHO careful with mild tobaccos starting out. They tend to burn hotter, which then burns your tounge and hand. Also let them breath for a day or two and stir them a bit. It helps lose moisture and will aid in preventing you from steaming your tounge. And keep trying even if you do, it takes some pratice but will eventually become, not only 2nd nature, but pure bliss. Good luck!

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Prince Albert and W.O. Larsen Old Fashioned. Choose an MM cob, some cleaners and ask for some matches.

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

St Bruno burns well, it's nice. Great choice. Can't easily get condor over here, but it's supposedly ungodly strong.

5. loaf

loaf Member

i picked those brands as they are cheap and readily available, from what i read they are two of the few over the counter pipe baccys still common in the UK

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

All you can do is try them out. I remember trying Gold Block (or Brick or something) in England and not liking it so much.

You'll wind up trying all kinds of stuff eventually. But St Bruno is a great start.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.