Good English Blend

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by guitarist7242, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guitarist7242

guitarist7242 Member

I mentioned on my new member topic that we had started a smoking club at the college I'm at, and it has been very successful so far. Good tobacco and good friends, nothing better.

Well one of the guys as always wanted to try a god English blend. He says he is "not a fan of the fruity stuff" or most aromatics, so he heard English tobacco had good strong blends. I do not know much in this area so I told him that I would put up a topic about it to get some opinions. So does anyone know really good English blends/brand names that he can try and also a good site to get it from?

As always, thanks for all the help.

2. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Hell yea, thats what I'm talking about. Haha.
    Well, the Frog Morton series by McClelland is pretty good, but I don't think that stuff is very strong.
    McClelland makes two blends: Three Oaks Syrian and Three Oaks Original, both very good English blends, but I like Syrian latakia better
    Westminster by G.L. Pease would work also
    Key Largo by G.L. Pease is quite strong and has cigar leaf in it which makes it a pretty "manly" smoke. He might be into something like that.
    Also, Commonwealth by Samuel Gawaith is super strong, but it isn't around much anymore.
    The other blends I've listed can be found on www.smokingpipes.com
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/search/sitesearchresults.cfm for the 3 Oaks
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/search/sitesearchresults.cfm for the Frog Morton (I recommend Across the Pond)
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/search/sitesearchresults.cfm for the Key Largo
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/g-l-pease/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=26317 for the Westminster
    Hope this helps, there are so many out there!
    TS

3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if it qualifies as an English, and Oriental, or something else, but I think Dunhill Elizabethan Blend is very good. I used to smoke a light English blend from a pipe shop in San Angelo, TX, that was very good. I surfed the internet yesterday for English blends, and came across a bulk tobacco from Peter Stokkebye called English Luxury, and judging fromm the photo it's the same blend as sold by the San Angelo pipe shop. If so, then it I thought it was a nice and inexpensive English blend.

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Straight Latakia or you're all virgins...

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Just kidding...(about the Latakia part...) Yeah, McClelland is probably the safest blender to look to...they're available and widely varied in their offerings. The Frogs' are a good starting point.

6. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Try a classic - Presbyterian Mixture.

7. jayf

jayf Member

Frog Morton regular, or Maltese Falcon, by Mr Pease.

Not too strong, but very good taste.

Peace,
    Jayf

8. len smetona

len smetona Member

Squadron Leader, my favorite. I fly for a living, how could I go for anything else?

Len S

9. gyrostatic

gyrostatic Member

Dunhill Nightcap, baby. Very potent stuff.

10. guitarist7242

guitarist7242 Member

Well thanks a bunch guys. This is some good information and things I am definitely ready to sample. I just passed on the information to him and he is definitely satisfied with all the choices and excitied to try some. I myself just received a few ounces from JustForHim.com that I have been trying out all day. My favorite being: Longbottom Leaf, Ruins of Isengard, and the Just For Him (Lane 1-Q). All great tobaccos that I am more than satisfied with. I also got the Black Raspberry which has a very unique flavor, sort of bitter sweet.

My next purchase will definitely be some Frog Morton though, I miss that blend and have not smoke it in a few months.

Thank you again for the help.

11. RTOdhner

When I was a crypto-weenie and stationed aboard the USS LaSalle (AGF-3) in the good old Persian Gulf, we had a Farsi linguist who actually did that. After about half a bowl, he wanted to yack (as did the rest of us). He never tried it again, and he had enough Latakia left over to blend his own English blends for the rest of his one year tour.

He got pretty creative, and wound up blending one that had a coffee-flavored tobacco in it that was pretty damn good. Now that I think about it, I may try to reproduce it - or at least come up with a workable version of my own.

12. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Oh its really not that bad though. I smoke it pure sometimes. Its actually a nice change from standard blend smoking. Its not overpowering like perique is. Its really quite smooth, just kind of boring.
    TS

13. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

You're not a man unless you
    can smoke perique straight.

14. RTOdhner

You and TrendSetter are truly manly men. I'm assuming y'all do this in well-ventilated areas.

15. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

PS English Oriental Supreme is out standing ! PS Lux. English is very good as well . IRC Royal is nice . The new Dunhills seem to be ok w/ most everyone so Theyre a go . Robert Lewis Orcilla Mixture is super cool !!

16. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Haha, I've never tried perique straight. I'm afraid to, but if you send me a baggie-ful, I will gladly accept thy challenge! After all, latakia turned out to be infinitely better than I anticipated.

17. Rivermont Rebel

Rivermont Rebel New Member

I would suggest Frog Morton on the Bayou...its like sipping creamy campfire smoke. Great Latakia with Louisiana Perique that gives added richness.

Might as well get the 100g tin!

My link

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.