Good morning blends?

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn...
Great minds -- I was just thinking of posting a similar -- allso in an effort to gather suggestions.

For several years I have made my coffee and adjourned to the patio for a pre-sunrise bowl of Chatham Manor in a cob before going inside to fire up my computer and start work. I have a few tubs of CM on hand, but they won't last forever. Since I will no longer deal with the only vendor that carries it -- due to customer service issues -- I have been casting about for a replacement. I've smoked Storm Front some in the morning and it might work. But, I'm open for suggestions.

(I'll add I don't really care for Carter Hall -- heresy, I know :eek: -- or SWR or Half and Half, for that matter. I'll look forward to hear the comments and see if there is a good substitute.)

Take 15% off Cigar Gifts! Use Promo Code: GIFT15 at cart

Ray Mackessy

Great minds -- I was just thinking of posting a similar -- allso in an effort to gather suggestions.

For several years I have made my coffee and adjourned to the patio for a pre-sunrise bowl of Chatham Manor in a cob before going inside to fire up my computer and start work. I have a few tubs of CM on hand, but they won't last forever. Since I will no longer deal with the only vendor that carries it -- due to customer service issues -- I have been casting about for a replacement. I've smoked Storm Front some in the morning and it might work. But, I'm open for suggestions.

(I'll add I don't really care for Carter Hall -- heresy, I know :eek: -- or SWR or Half and Half, for that matter. I'll look forward to hear the comments and see if there is a good substitute.)
If you hadn't already, you may like C&D's Pegasus.

Ah mornings! Back before my son (4yo) was born and during the first year it was such a joy to sit on my porch and enjoy coffee and burley. Now the only time to myself is when I'm on the toilet. The reason my dad smoked in there just became clear.
So....on a separate thread, what tobacco goes best while sitting in the lavatory? A strong English blend, Va-Per, or a nice aromatic?

So....on a separate thread, what tobacco goes best while sitting in the lavatory? A strong English blend, Va-Per, or a nice aromatic?
Instinctively I wanted to say that an aromatic would be ideal, just to keep things smelling fresh, however if you're heading in for a rather "exceptional" no.2 and anticipate really fouling the place up, well, let's be honest: most aromatics are probably woefully insufficient.

It seems like the more delicate flavors in a straight Virginia or VaPer could be muddled or overpowered in such a situation. They're probably best enjoyed afterwards as a reward/celebration for the successful completion of the task at hand.

It pains me to even contemplate this, but if we are to trust the word of Austin Powers, then perhaps the nutty flavor offered by Burley blends might be the most, uh, "complimentary" option to one's own naturally generated bathroom note?

Ultimately, I say might as well not worry about it and just fire up a real heavy English. I like Pirate Kake and Old Ironsides. Worrying about the room note of an English blend at that point is really a lot like worrying about the browning of your lawn while your house is on fire.

Last edited:

ruffinogold

Mayor
Its rare that i have something other than burley and a cob in the am . Sometimes I'll smoke a briar , which i usually prefer , and a non burley or aro.... but not often .
I like MB GE anytime and it's my go to but 90 % of my mornings are ...

SWR/COB/COFFEE ... and usually the same damn MM Legend that I used as a work pipe for a couple few years . I swear , I have a dozen cobs and I smoke the hell out of that one Legend ..,. It's looking like a @DGErwin11 cob and smokes as good as a cob can , which is damn good .
Today , however , I made a conscious effort to get my Old country gentleman out and smoke it . It was my go to cob , and one of two that I had for 10 years . It was fantastic and I'm keeping it out as my morning pipe

My favourite Good Morning Blend happens to be in my cup: I'll blend some really strong italian espresso with a spoon of suggar, stirr it just a little for a better and quicker marriage of the aroma, then drink while it's still hot. :xd:

Nicotine and caffeine are required to achieve full consciousness. Subtlety is wasted in getting to that point; no first-blush, top of the plant Virginia brights need apply. On the other hand, blends like Kendal Kentucky can cause an inordinate, unpleasant nicotine rush. It's a balancing act, performed under stressful conditions.

A classic American burley and coffee, hearty and black, is the Breakfast of Champions. At the very least it will get you to eggs and bacon and biscuits (and gravy on the weekends) without burning yourself or setting the house afire.