Good Perique Blends?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Tairusu, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tairusu

Tairusu Member

About to put in my baccy order for the month. I have enough Lat bombs to last me through a nuclear winter, so I'm looking to diversify my cellar and branch out into some blends that are heavier on the perique. I know FM OTB is highly reviewed, but are there any hidden gems that I need to load up on? I've already had Nightcap and Old Toby, both wonderful weeds but I'd like to try something new.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jay

Jay Active Member

The only Perique I have had is in a VA/Per blend called Escudo. Good stuff.

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

You looking for vapers, or englishes with perique?

Ignoring lat mixtures...I'm partial to Escudo and McClellands Tudor Castle.

4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I have always enjoyed traditional English and Balkan blends and Virginia flakes, but have recently become intrigued by Virginia/Perique blends myself. I'll third the Escudo recommendation, and add that my short list of things to try includes Captain Earle's Honor Blend (recommended to me by a friend; I have several other Hermit products in my cellar and have enjoyed almost all of their offerings I've tried) and Sam Gawith's St. James Flake, when that becomes available again. For a little variety, I HIGHLY recommend Davidoff's Flake Medallions, a VA/Per that comes in the same coin form as Escudo, but with a core of Cavendish. Extremely tasty and rather pricey, but I think everyone should at least try it.

dbt13 likes this.
  5. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Peterson Irish Oak is a good intro....

6. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Anniversary Kake at Pipes and Cigars. Sweet VaPer.

Ol Brokedik.

7. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Some of my usuals...

Escudo

McClelland 2015- great bulk vaper

Hearth and Home Anni Kake- another great bulk vaper but it really shines after 9 mos to a year of aging

Hearth and Home Rolando's Own- another great bulk vaper

McConnell Scottish Cake

McClelland St. James Woods

8. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

Kajun Kake and Bayou Morning from Cornell & Diehl. BullsEye Flake and Navy Flake from PS.

All good VaPer's that are reasonably priced and readily available.

9. jay29

jay29 Member

+1 on Kajun Kake. Just bought a 8 ounce tin from Mars Pipes and Cigars with already four years on it for my cellar!

10. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

I'll second McClellands Tudor Castle as stated by Yinyang, its the VaPer (VaPerO? VaOPer?) that keeps on giving.

Since everyone is saying Escudo, I am going to be different and throw Dunhill Navy De Luxe Rolls out there :whistle:
    With either of those choices, keep in mind that the perique is granulated, so fold'n'stuff will give you a more consistant bowl than rubbed out - the first time I smoked a coin, I am pretty sure the top 1/3 of the bowl was straight perique, while the bottom 1/3 was Va.

11. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I very much like Escudo. But, when it comes to value, I like the "poor man's Escudo" best: P.S. Luxury Navy Flake.

McClelland 2015 is another very affordable vaper.

I don't care for Anni Kake nor Bullseye. I haven't figured out what that's all about :dunno:

WyoBob

12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Along with what's already been mentioned:

McClelland Bayou Slices (Blakeney's Best)and St James Woods
    Hearth and Home AJ's Vaper and Louisiana Red

The latter two are relatively inexpensive bulk blends.

13. Brian

Brian Member

+1:
    Escudo -- dry, tobacco flavor with perique
    Anniversary Kake -- sweet with perique

I don't really like perique, but I love the rich smoke from Escudo on the rare occasion I break some out from my jar. I keep meaning to revisit Anniversary Kake. It's been sitting in a jar for a year.

Might I add Rattray's Old Gowrie. It has a very light touch of perique. I love the VA in it!

14. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Escudo, Mac Baren Roll Cake, and Mac Baren HH Acadian Perique.

Roll Cake is fantastic. Escudo is darn good. Once in a while I get a tin of Escudo that just doesn't quite shine as brightly as it should. It seems to be about 1 in 5. Perhaps there was a bad batch a couple years ago and some is still circulating out there or whatever. But if you try Escudo and think it ain't quite there, try another tin in a few weeks. Its good enough that I will suffer through the occasional dud.

15. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

And now for something completely different : C&D Adagio. When I need a big hit of Perique this is the blend. Comprised of burley,VA,Later,Per,and Turkish. This seems to be a love/hate blend, with the haters turned off by the wollop of Perique, particularly at the top of the bowl (which mellows significantly by mid-bowl).

16. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Someone mentioned Captain Earle's Honor Blend. I'm completely head over heels for this little tobacco cake at the moment. It's just sweet enough, just spicy enough, and it smokes pretty easy. A gravity fill and VERY light pack to it, and you'll be watching behind your back as you walk down the street for an old sea captain carrying a shotgun! :groucho:

17. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Thanks, DM, now I'm starting to get a case of TAD for it. I was going to hold out until I see J. and Louise at a pipe show this year, but I may have to order it before then.

18. Tairusu

Tairusu Member

Wow, tons of great suggestions. Who new Perique had such a following? I went ahead and ordered the Escudo and the C&D Adagio from Smoking Pipes, but I'll definitely have to try most of those other blends in due time.

I read somewhere, that "real perique" can only be grown in louisiana while most periques are a form of burley that are processed in a way that produces a spicier flavor. Do any of these blends fall into "real perique" territory?

19. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

If my googlefu be strong enough, none of the blends are using "real" perique.

I really don't feel shafted either way, the "perique" blends I've been smoking have made me quite happy indeed. Whether it's Green River burley processed as perique, a mix of the two, or in fact real perique I've been smoking; I'm happy as a clam to be smoking it! :yes:

20. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

These are regulars in my rotation:
    McClelland St. James Woods
    SG St. James Flake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.