Good Pipe Tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Mattzoso, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mattzoso

Mattzoso Member

I have only had a single blend of pipe tobacco. I'm thinking about getting a few more just to try them out. I've only had Cavendish so far but I want to try some aromatics and others. What would you guys recommend for a new pipe smoker?

2. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

-Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic is a good Over The Counter (OTC) choice. It's a lot lighter to smoke than a black cavendish blend.

-Carter Hall is another good OTC. People say that it's a non-aromatic, but it does have a slight topping taste to it.

-Lane 1Q is...last time I checked...the most popular pipe tobacco in the U.S. It's purchased in bulk and is pretty cheap if you order online and get a higher quantity (usually 12+ ounces) discount.

Those are three that taste good, but are easy to keep burning. For a newbie...or anyone else for that matter... any one of those three would be a great choice.

Explorer352 and mitchell like this.
  3. Mattzoso

Mattzoso Member

I'm using Lane 1Q right now.I hear sir Walter is great. But what about other aromatics, I'll be going down to a B&M later this week so I'm kind of curious what I can choose from.

4. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

I'd encourage you to try a non-aromatic as well. My experiences with aromatics so far have been mostly disappointing.

Sasquatch likes this.
  5. Mattzoso

Mattzoso Member

What would you suggest I get from my b&m?

6. bubbagump

Most B&M's in my area have Peter Stokkebye blends. One good thing to try would be Luxury Bullseye Flake. It's classified as a VaPer (Virginia and Perique) and can be purchased in bulk form. If you like something like that, you could then check out something like Escudo, Peterson Irish Oak, or Dunhill Elizibethan (tins).

Another thing to try is something with Latakia in it (i.e. Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, Squadron Leader, etc.). I'm not a fan of Latakia, but lots of members rave about the stuff.

I'm not sure if they'll have anything by Cornell & Diehl (C&D), but if they do...you couldn't go wrong with checking their blends out. i.e. Epiphany, Five O' Clock Shadow, etc.

A good budget line of pipe tobacco to check out is Smokers Pride. They're sold in bags at pharmacies and many other stories. Make sure that if you decide to try this stuff you get that brand...there are others sold in similar bags that are nothing more than Roll Your Own (RYO) cigarette tobacco.

The way I'd put it...aromatics are great for people that are non-smokers to transition into pipe smoking. When I started smoking, I hated anything that tasted or smelled like tobacco. I was strictly an aromatic smoker for about my first 4-6 months of pipe smoking. Once my palatte began to broaden, I looked at other blends. Now...I'm not a huge aromatic fan (I really like VaPers).

I agree though...if he's not repulsed by aromatics, it would be a good idea to try something out.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  7. Mattzoso

Mattzoso Member

I will check all those out. I can also ask whoever is running the store what he recommends too. I'm glad I'm not doing it online either, because shipping can be killer.

8. bubbagump

Yup. I'd recommend waiting until you get a good idea of what you like before placing a tobacco order. Unless you can nail down at least a $50 order, it's hard to justify what's usually at least $7 for shipping. If you can do that...you may as well just go for free shipping, which is generally the $100 mark. Yeah...I'm being an enabler, lol.

For $10-20 though, you can walk out of a B&M with a good selection of bulk tobacco though. I wouldn't buy more than an ounce (usually ~$3/ounce at a B&M) of any blend until you figure out if you like it or not.

9. nicktrap

nicktrap Member

Sign up to be a FNG on the FNG/FGO thread, I did and it really helped me find the type of blends that I like best. Saved me a ton of money and time, and the guys that are FGO's are an amazing lot.
    You can find the thread under Trading Post.

10. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

Well I'm a beginner like you, but I'm currently enjoying Mac Baren's Navy Flake. There is a bit of fiddling to get the flakes burning but after that its like any other tobacco.

Ah, my introduction to tobacco was cigarillos which often have a strong taste... But since they're too expensive and the variety is not as great I picked up the pipe. Imagine my disappointment with the aromatics...

11. Mattzoso

Mattzoso Member

What is that?

12. Mattzoso

Mattzoso Member

How does the tobacco taste?

13. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

Like tobacco :D Navy Flake has a smokey, dense, heavy, rarely sweet taste oddly reminiscent of smoked meat. You'll just have to try it.

The usual recommendation though, for a straight tobacco, from what I've seen, is Carter Hall.

14. martydrmr

martydrmr Enjoy every pipe.

I'm a big fan of trout stream, its a full aromatic and I get it from 4noggins. I also really like sutliff private stock Molto dulce, your local B&M might have this one in stock. It's a bit moist right out of the tin, but if you let it dry for 30 minutes or longer you will be good to go. :bing:

15. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Member

Do what I do. Try them all!

critter likes this.
  16. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Take a pipe with you when you go to your local B & M. Many pipe shops still encourage potential customers to sample one or two of their mixtures. Sniff the tobacco in each of the jars they will have on display and try the one that seems most appealing. Get a couple ounces each of the mixtures that has a fragrance you like. You might be slightly disappointed with one or two but actually smoking mixtures is the only to find your fav mixtures.

17. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Most tobacco are like women, they are all good, just some better than others.

critter likes this.
  18. pipedrum22

pipedrum22 Member

Macbarrens Virginia #1. Do it. Also I've heard amazing things about trout stream. Never tried it though.

19. Explorer352

Explorer352 Active Member

+1 on the fog/fng trade. It's a thread over in the 'trading' section. Some 'old farts' do a baccy swap with f-ing newbies. I had a a good experience.

20. smokehouse

smokehouse Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.