Got my Butz from Berlin

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by len smetona, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. len smetona

len smetona Member

Well, after a week or so, the Butz I eBayed arrived from Berlin. On occasion, I like international shipments - exotic stamps, customs stickers and all. Its essential to buy from a seller with good feedback, that is the measure as to whethere you are getting ripped off. This pipe, including shipping from Berlin was under 50 bucks.

[​IMG]

The pipe is typical Butz, a classic shape with unusual proportions, that is a cool thing about Butz Choquin pipes. This one is husky. A meaty bowl, very large oval shank with a gigantic filter chamber. Of course no filters came with the pipe and I would not use it anyway. The pipe smokes fine without the filter, the draw is perfect. I do like wide, thin bits and this pipe sure has one.

The pipe came as advertized, a lightly used estate with the seller performing his "disinfecting process". No dents, wear, or teeth marks, the bowl reamed just down to the wood, like I would do. I gave the stem a light scrubb out, I do that with every pipe I buy, even new. First smoke was Old Joe Kranz, now Plumbcake. It smokes great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ol Brokedik, jdto and Rewster66 like this.

2. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Neato!!!:th1:

3. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

Nice looking pipe!

4. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Great looking pipe,enjoy.

5. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Very nice Butz! (I could send you a couple of 9mm filters is you get curious):bing:

6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Congrats and enjoy!

7. len smetona

len smetona Member

Thanks for the offer, the pipes good for me as is,just curious, what is the filter like?

8. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I have non-filter & filter in my rotation. My filter pipes are 9mm (I think your butz is also). I use Stanwell & Peterson, they are charcoal filters with ceramic ends. It does make for a smoother smoke, it takes out any acrid taste, you'll never get bit. But enough, it's a sensitive topic here. Thats why appreciate both sides of the coin & smoke both types. Non-filters are great in their own way, traditional & easy to draw with purer flavor..

[​IMG]

TRAVIS likes this.
  9. len smetona

len smetona Member

Thanks for the info. I get accross the pond so if I get the itch I'll try. Even though the chamber is cavernous, the draw hole is still normal size from the bowl and through the stem, so I think that is why the draw is good for me. The chamber makes it kind of a system pipe? And yes I do believe 9mm.

10. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

Nice score, i love seeing all the sticker, stamps etc. on the overseas parcels (adds to the occasion). Smoke her in good health :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.