Got the new Sterling price list today in the mail

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ruffinogold, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Starting Feb. 20th , Sterling Tobacco is upping their prices . [ oh joy ]

As an example :

Chairman of the board ... 2 oz @ 12.26 .. 7 oz @37.17 .. 14 oz @74.09 .. 5 lb @ 355.74

Golden Eagle ............ 2.4 oz @ 9.79 .. 7 oz @ 25.83 .. 14 oz @ 51.42 .. 5 lb @ 237.12

I hate to say it and I hope I'm wrong but it seems like this company is gonna go by the way side .
    I've tried a few of their products and they were good quality but I thought their prices are a bit high . They site Transportation costs as the problem [ wait till summer ] of this increase . I wish anyone in the tobacco business well . I hope these guys come up w/ a new business plan to be competitive

2. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Concur, Don Ruffino. These new prices are light years away from being even competative, let alone reasonable or anything approaching a good value. They'll be making their money off someone besides me, that's for sure.

3. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Finally, something to smoke in my new S. Bang.

4. atwageman

atwageman Member

A lot of blenders are increasing thier prices......but these are insane.

5. MikePiper1

MikePiper1 Member

Holy crap! Suddenly $40 for a pound of tobac sounds resonable!!

Good luck to them. Has anyone bought any of this stuff?

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I got a sample from them .. I dont remember what blend .. It was a pretty good aro but it didnt stand out ... kinda like I smoked it 1000 times before

7. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Oh man, I sure hope it stays with this one blender, tobacco is high enough as it is. Transportation costs have not gone up that fast and high.

8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I forgot to check at my B&M the other day, but they carry-carried several of the 1776/Sterling blends for much less than what they go for straight from the blender. Don't know if that is common elsewhere. I have picked up Tavern, the most expensive blend, no less, for $2.30 an ounce...about one third the online price ! Maybe I should go back...I'd hate to end up having to pay for it with an increase...that would put it in McClelland bulk territory!

9. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

These have to be Illinois instate prices with all the taxes added. I don't know anything about this company other than having seen them talked about/linked a couple of times on pipes boards. Are they a B&M, distributor, blender or what?:bling:

10. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

McClelland bulk is expensive? 5100 and suchlike can be had for about $2.30/ounce when buying by the pound; that seems pretty reasonable to me.

11. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

The sample I got was a bag of Boston Whaler. I liked it quite a bit but their prices are a bit steep for me. I'm pretty sure I'll pick up more of it by summer but it wont happen very often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.