Got Too Far Ahead on Cigars?

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by Mister Moo, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Or not? About 10-12 years ago stogies caught my fancy and I tended to buy boxes from time to time. I got about 25 boxes ahead, stuffing them in a wincecoolerdor and picking them out, 5-10 week for a while. When I suddenly got all pipey the remaining 20 or so boxes were neglected in the sense of being smoked so regularly. I've been weeding them out at the rate of a couple/week lately.

Having now saved a small fortune on NOT smoking cigars I find the remnants are, by and large, as good or better than they ever were. While many have stayed put in terms of development, some good cigars are at least, still good but mainly better. A lot of average cigars are stunningly improved and a few have either gone the wrong way or, more likely, they just plain sucked when I bought them.

Biggest surprise? El cheapo Drew Estates Vieja Habanas went from OK to stunning. I finished the last of several boxes approaching 10 years old over Christmas and they were richly sublime. Many of the OpusX and Anejo vitolas were punchier than ever but, par for the course, about 60% of them were still average to poor; but the good 'uns were great. I have a dozen old-old mid-1990's El Rico Habanos rolled in Miami remaining from several boxes; they were pepper-snorking mindblowers 10 years ago and, now, they are pepper-snorking mindblowers (if you like that sort of thing).

Expected results? Most CC's stayed the same or improved modestly. Best smokers were the moderately priced sticks that smoked very well when fresh.

Let downs? The best of the CC's in my humidor did not improve; they arrived aged in most cases and never stepped up to a next level. Tatuaje... a few J21 Reservas plumed a while back and they were spectacular but the rest fell off or stayed put.

Your old humi picks?

sonarman, Spillproof and gentimmy like this.

2. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

noone tell Moo about OLH

3. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

Be carefull at OLH. A few guys there are scammers.

4. Marker

Marker Active Member

OLH is a bad place if you are new. Get help to understand the place. Know the people you trade with. check their feedback. Never blindly trust anyone.

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  5. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

been using OLH for years. Never run into scammers and avoid the gougers.

6. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

I am a member of a cigar board. We had a guy show up selling fake Cuban cigars. I jokingly refered him to OLH. He sold every one of them in less than a day. Lots of gougers there for sure.

7. critter

critter Member

trying to bring parity to the coolerdor versus cellar. sold 2 boxes of 2007 dpg el centurions and 2 boxes of cao 65th annis. that is a lot of pipe tobaccy! both were in my top 5, but i still have more cigars than i will ever smoke.

8. Yossarian

Yossarian Member

I just rearranged my wineador, I counted 21 boxes. Nearly all of the boxes were purchased from overseas between 2008 and 2009, before my daughter was born and my wife was still working. At the time I had enough cash left over at the end of the month to put towards a new box. I began accumulating cigars faster than I could smoke them, and looked forward to letting them age as I slowly smoked my way through them. I took up pipe smoking after seeing a large chunk of my fun money disappear when my wife became a full time mom.

My experiences mimic Mr. Moo's, the cigars have stayed the same or modestly improved. The standouts for me have been anything from the HdM, ERDM, and SLR lineup. I mostly smoke a cigar now on the weekends, or when I'm on vacation. I generally smoke from my stash, every once in a while I'll get the urge to try something new and head over to the B&M.

I've accumulated enough pipe tobacco now to last me for a considerable time. I've been thinking about shifting my spending back towards cigars to replenish my current stock and have something nice waiting for me in a few years.

Having a cellar of tobacco has been a rewarding experience for me.

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  9. Marker

Marker Active Member

I agree Yossarian. I am building the cellar while my discretionary funds are low. When extra money shows up I buy ssome cigars.

Mount Mandolin, critter and Yossarian like this.
  10. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

I agree with Marker and Yossarian. I try to buy cigars as often as I can afford them, and I actually do smoke them at roughly the rate that I buy them, so that the cigars are always nicely rested by the time I get around to smoking them. It seems to be a pretty good system.

Now that I have a good selection of pipes, I don't need to buy any new pipes. So I just stock up on pipe tobacco. I buy a tin a week or something like that, so for $10-$15 a week, give or take, I have built up a really nice stash. And the great thing about pipe tobacco is that a $10-$15 tin is basically equal to a ~$175 box of cigars as far as the number of smokes it provides. But I won't stop smoking cigars. No way, José.

11. Bill Dawson

Bill Dawson Member

Vieja Habanas by Drew Estate ten years ago.A mixed filler cigar that was awesome.The new Vieja Habanas are not the same.

12. hoss

hoss Member

Favorite older sticks from this week:
    1. Punch SS No.1 (from 2003)
    2. El Triunfador lancero (personally from Pete Johnson - i must've gotten those 7-8 yrs ago now)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.