1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Grabows: new vs. old

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Sweatsack, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

i have about 10 old wood KWs and DrGs--those pipes are of ages ranging from 40 to 50 years old--they are all GOOD smokers--equal to my GBD and Barling--
    none of them are filter pipes--all stingers--stingers have never bothered me as they seem to do others--
    i have no clue what the cause might be, but each pipe seems to favor certain kinds of tobacco--i am a burley man and i have two Canadians, one KW and one DrG who seem to have been created for OTC burley--

2. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I just bought a Dr. Grabow estate pipe on Ebay for a great price. It is an old Westbrook just like an older one I already had. Great smoker!!! It seems the newer Grabow's smoke well enough but for some reason they just don't seem to have quite the fit and finish of the older ones.

3. CornCobAvery

CornCobAvery Member

I have two older Dublin Westbrooks. Great smokers. The Omegas are very good too. Almost as good as the ole MM Pride which I'm smoking now with some PA :thumb:

4. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I have an Omega, but it does'nt seem to smoke quite as good the Westbrook to me. I would say with the MM Pride full of PA your pretty mellowed out right now. :cool:

5. CornCobAvery

CornCobAvery Member

I would agree. The Westbrook does smoke better than the Omega. Had another bowl of PA in the Pride this morning :thumbsu:

6. slprl1

slprl1 Member

I started with the Grabow's. The reason for their price is because they are all machine made from start to finish in an assembly line manner. They are very forgiving and great for the new piper. I still have my Grabow's when I started in the Mid 70's.

Also, if you go to the pipe and tobacco store, their "basket" pipes are a good place to start and the briar will be of a little better quality. They will cost about the same as a Grabow. Give it a try and support your local B&M (Brick & Mortar) store at the same time.

7. futervest

futervest Member

As a restorer I do alot of DR G and I am starting to see many new models hitting the resale marked almost to the point of flooding it . This tells me they arnt liked much. From a restoration standpoint The new grabow stems can take very little repair. and are bad for teeth marke . also are hard to resell so I try to stay away. Older ons I sell often and are easly repaird wood also seems better quality.
    Futervest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.