1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Granddad's pipe and watch

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Iain, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

That very sentiment always sends me to thinking about my own "stuff" and how much of it really has no emtional attachment to anyone but myself. We have no children, so years from now, my "stuff" and things like photographs of a life time may fade into obscurity. Useless artifacts to the future that were precious to the past.
    No one will look at my uncle's Kaywoodie the same way I see it sitting on my pipe rack. To a future passerby, it will be nothing more than an old dirty white pipe that somebody left some ancient tobacco remnants in.
    This past flood scare here in N.E. Pa. reinforced these mental wanderings. All could be lost in a heartbeat. It is the memories that no one can physcially take away from us.
    I hope someday in the future obscurity of late retirement, to sit with my wife on a porch in a comfortable rocker, dog by our side, favorite pipe in my hand and smile at times gone by and memories sweet.

dwaugh and Stonewall like this.

2. CrosbyPipes

CrosbyPipes Member

I had a friend when I attended college in northern Alabama who as a bass player for a blues/rock band. I visited his apartment one day and along a hallway he had dozens of photos from the late 1800' and early to mid 1900's hanging there.

I asked him if these were all family and he said " They are someone's family. About a year ago I went into a junk shop and saw a photo album being sold for next to nothing. I thought it was sad that these people were being discarded so I bought it and put them up here, kind of a way to save them. I just thought they were interesting people who deserved to be remembered if only as being that."

I still think that is one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

Stonewall likes this.
  3. Iain

Iain Active Member

Thanks for the comments guys, it's great to be able to share stuff like this with people who appreciate it.
    It really is a shame how much stuff gets thrown away because people think its old, therefore its junk, a lot of the old stuff was made so well it could easily outlast several owners if well cared for.

Makes me wonder how many of the estate pipes I get from ebay used to be someone's favourite pipe, and after they've gone someone's sold it because they'd rather have a few pounds then a treasured possession with memories attached.

Stonewall likes this.
  4. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I think the same things sometime. I remember when I lost my Father how everything he owned seemed to be so suddenly important to me. Even the most insignificant of items.

I don't expect my children to share my feelings over the importance of my possessions, or even the sentiment, per se.

But it would be nice to believe someone would appreciate them as I have.

MakDragon likes this.
  5. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

I know what you guys mean. It's strange to have two Fathers. One adopted that I grew up with as my Dad, I lost him in 1992 and my Birthfather whom I met in 1998. A few years after my Dad passed away and I was at Mom's house I discovered some beautiful Watercolor paintings he had done. Already framed and ready to hang. There were only a few and I asked her if I could have them. These three paintings have become so treasured to me, it's like Daddy watching over my home and my boys. I have to find a place that does professional flag mounting to handle the WWII Flag that was my Birth Grandfather's, then that too will find a place of honor. such wonderful family treasures.:D

MakDragon and Stonewall like this.
  6. Nightcap

Nightcap Member

Thats awesome. No one has ever left me anything cool.

7. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Here's mine, for the rare occasion I'm 'dressed-up', she gave it to me - on our engagement ( note the hi-tech pipe lighting facility ). It's been ticking-over since 1896, and hopefully - will continue to, for my son when my ticker has stopped!:)
    OT[​IMG]

MakDragon, Jussto, Spam and 2 others like this.
  8. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

OT, that is so cool. I love that watch!. Ruffino and I used to see some really cool English antiques back when we were in that business, but that is a fabulous piece!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.