Grants tobacconists in San Fran

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Prof, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prof

Prof Member

Spent some time in San Fran last week at a convention, did some research before I went, saw some recommendations -read the history, saw the old pictures and thought it would be a nice stop.

Nice little, and I mean little store, bulks were few -tins were relatively few, pipes were unremarkable. Was rather disappointing all in all.

I picked up some Old Drum, pleasant smelling aromatic -very dark and mild, seemed to have been sitting for a while in plastic bags...seemed like it was much more abot the cigars like most tobacconists that I have been in...which *wasn't a surprise*.

My local shop would shame this little place into the shadows, but maybe that is a reflection of the state of smoking in California?

B

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Sounds very typical to me - most shops make higher profit on cigars and accessories, and there's a cabinet of dusty old pipes and with them some dusty old tobacco. It's unfortunate. There are very very few "pipe shops" around now.

3. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Hello,
    Here in Orlando there are a great number of fantastic toby stores.....if you like cigars.They have cool bars and everything...but only sell cigars. I asked if one store could order pipes or pipe tobacoo. They looked at me and said,"We don't carry that style of tobacco."

The other stores are more geared to those that enjoy smoke hookah's. Even shops listed as pipe stores online and in the phone book sell cigars and hookah tobacco/accesories. There are a few small shops here and there but the going into them is the same type experience you had. Must not be the $$$ in pipes and tobacco.
    Z

4. Prof

Prof Member

Ok, well that begs the question ... Isn't pipe smoking seeing a resurgence? AND doesn't the pipe smoker tend to purchase more expensive items? every time I go into a cigar shop, the guys who wander into the humidor don't have a clue and come out with two or three sticks, while I walk out with a single 15 dollar tin minimum....with the broad range of good and inexpensive pipes and good smelling cheap pipes...it is annoying.

I personally think that cigar popularity has been waning for a while after the craze a while back...but what do I know.

B

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Well maybe there will be an upswing. Oddly, with the restrictions on selling tobacco (like, you can't display it) around here, for example, suddenly, "adult only" tobacco shops are popping up again. Haven't seen a tobacconist for years around here and now suddenly there are a few. BUT... they make 10 times the money off of cigars that they do off of pipes. 15 dollars is 1 cigar. It's 100 g (two tins) of pipe tobacco, which is... what, a couple weeks or a month's worth for most pipe smokers? I don't use 50g a week, and I don't buy any pipes now. So economically speaking, I get the dusty crappy corner of the store that I deserve. :thumbsu:

6. Charring Light

Charring Light Member

Unfortunately with the tight smoking restrictions in the City (of wack jobs) and the cigar boom of the 90's Grant's Pipe and Tobacco is a shell of it former self. It was one of the better stores, with Sherlock's Haven being the pipe mecca of the Bay Area, up until the early 90's. Today decent pipe shops in the Bay Area are Teleford's in Mill Valley (north of the Golden Gate Bridge), Edward's Pipes and Tobbacco in Los Altos and its sister store Smokers Paradise in San Jose, and Mission Pipes in San Jose. They all have decent pipe selections and tobacco.

7. Prof

Prof Member

As an update, tried the "Old Drum" from Grants...I was told this tobacco was a proprietary blend. Nice mild aro, very dark brown color...no bite, room note not bad, but not great either...good taste all in all. Now the kicker...this blend is *remarkably* like Lane's BCA..same color, smells same...both sold in bulk...hmmmm...very strange.

B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.