Grapevine, TX

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by RTOdhner, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

The kids have basketball try-outs up in Grapevine today. (Texas Express, one of those basketball camp league type of things). There is a nice little pipe/cigar shop up there, and I figure I'll be there at about 2:30pm today. Anybody interested in meeting-up?

2. TTUSmoker

TTUSmoker Member

Wish I could man. I'm at work at my shop today though in Dallas.

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

If I was in Burleson this weekend, I'd go, but it's a little far from New Braunfels. ;)

I'm looking forward to your report though... :bing:

4. RTOdhner

Just light up, and hitch a magic carpet to your pipe smoker. Y'all be here in an instant....

BradNTX likes this.
  5. RTOdhner

Well, I went to Ole Grapevine Cigars and pipes. The selection was not as good as it was the last time I was up there. They had a decent selection of tins, but they were as much as twice as expensive as what I could have gotten them for on-line. I'm all for supporting traditional pipe shops, but c'mon - this was ridiculous. They had a decent price on Sutliff tins, though, so I picked up three for the cellar: Golden Age, BRG mxture, and CD Blend. Normally I don't go for blends that shamelessly claim to be something they are not, but I thought I'd give them a try on their own merits - once my 30 day experiment is over. Shameless claims? Well, lemme see... Golden Age claims to be sumpin lovers of Elizabethan mixture would love, and they even have a map of the Americas on it. The original Elizabethan tins also had a map on them. BRG is supposed to be a replacement for Briggs mixture, and CD Blend is supposed be a replacement for Country Doctor. Altadis has bulk blends that they are also claim are replacements for these same blends, and I'm curious to see if these are those same blends but tinned and rebadged as "luxury" pipe tobaccos - in short, I'm curious if Altadis has simply put lipstick on some pigs.

The parent company of Sutliff, Altadis, wants to posture this Sutliff as the venerated 160 year old Sutliff Co. Well, the name might be 160 old, but this "venerated" name is also associated with one of the vilest tobaccos to ever plague the pipe smoking world - mixture 79. Knowing exactly what mixture 79 is does not help make the "Venerated Sutliff" marketing angle a big selling point for me. Of course, I know the shenanigans that Altadis plays in the cigar market (frinstance, reviving the names of venerable old cigar brands then peddling crap cigars to the uninformed who think they are getting a classic cigar). But, I digress..

I bought them because I'm one of those guys who can't go into a pipe shop without buying something. The majority of the stuff there was way over-priced, in my opinion, but I came close to buying a couple of tins of Presbyterian mixture, but $16 a tin was more than I would go. Now $12 a tin for Sutliff - well, I could give them a go at that price. They'll just have to wait until my present "back to basics" experiment is over.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  6. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I've had CD Blend, Sunrise Smoke and Man's Best Friend, from Sutliff's and thought they're pretty good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.