1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Great Dane Egg

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by nobler son, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nobler son

nobler son Member

This finally came in today (well, yesterday; that is, Wednesday). I was expecting to have to wait another day at least, but I was pleasantly surprised. I drew my knife and sliced through the packing tape and laughed at the extra-dimensional portal that opened up on a realm of nothing but Styrofoam packing peanuts. After reaching through and shuffling around for a while, I was rewarded with a little plastic baggie with the four black filtered bits that made up part of the purchase. After more excavating, followed by an archaeological survey, I found my brand new pipe.

My first thought was, Jeez that bowl's big! It is roughly the size of a jumbo egg (a size reference that may be lost on those who've never worked eggs in the dairy department). Its circumference at the widest point is about five-and-half inches, and the height of the bowl is about two inches. The big surprise came later in the night when I broke it in (with--of course--some Carter Hall). My Legends only hold a couple pinches of tobacco, generally. The Great Dane is big enough for the three-pinch method, and then some.

The overall design of the pipe is pleasing enough that I'm proud to show it off in company. I found myself gesturing with the Great Dane like I would one of my briars. And it's a sweet smoker, too: the CH came through very pleasant. And speaking of which, I think I'll dedicate this pipe to nothing but Carter Hall. I may as well--I bought a 14 oz. tub of it Tuesday.

This is definitely one of my favorite pipes--certainly my favorite cob. I can surely see why some folk never turn away from cobs. My only complaint is that the bit is rather loose in the shank. A regular filtered bit fits better, but it just doesn't look as classy as the Danish bit.

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I like that style a lot and in fact one'll be on my purchase list when I get back to Scotland for a full month this January - the usual sincere wished for many happy years with the new pipe.

On the bit fit front - I've found the same. I like the feel and look of the new bits and they are a lot easier to clean than the amber bent bits - if you ordered more than one; try fitting them all, you may fins some a tighter fit than others - I got four and one solved the problem you mentioned. With looser fitting bits on cobs previously I found a generous rub of beeswax usually fixed it and the fit became tighter as I went on smoking the cob - probably moisture in the pine stem did it,

Happy smoking

Gerry

3. nobler son

nobler son Member

Thanks, Gerry. I'll definitely try that bit with the beeswax. The other bits do fit better, but they are the regular, not the Danish. And that Danish bit just has that style that the regular bit seems to lack.

4. bvillepipeguy

bvillepipeguy Member

nice looking egg ya got there, i been meaning to pick one up, might have to sneak an order in to MM this weekend when the significant other ain't lookin, lol

5. Marc

Marc Active Member

Just brush a light coat of clear nail polish around the tenon, let it dry and your problem will be solved. I have done this for years on loose fitting stems.

6. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Great looking pipe! Where did you get it? I have been looking for a new one, but could never decide what shape. Yours looks awesome!

Z

7. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

What he said.

I too favor the MM Great Dane Egg. Each cob smoker has his preferences and, before Jake Hackert came into my life, the MMGB was my #1. To be sure, yours isn't the only one with a loose stem. Mostly, when they're sloppy loose, they're too sloppy loose for beewax.

8. nobler son

nobler son Member

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Yeah, the bit stays in, no problem with that, but it twists around way too easily.

9. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I took a small cup of water, (small enough where the bowl doesn't fall in) and let the wood stem part of the bowl soak all night.
    It swells just a tad tightening up the plastic stem when it's put back in.:xd:

10. Marc

Marc Active Member

Clear finger nail polish and an emory board are the only tools you need to tighten up any stem. This is a very simple solution that works very well and lasts a long time.

11. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

I got a Great Dane and a Diplomat. I really like 'em!
    Been eye balling those forever stems, I just haven't taken the leap yet.

12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Thats sweet man ! .. Is it heavier than a reg. shape ? I got a Country gentelman billiard and it's a little bit heavrier but smokes killer

13. nobler son

nobler son Member

It has a little more weight to it, but it's still corncob. So you can clench it and still forget it's there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.