1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Great Dane Egg

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Gradog, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gradog

Gradog Member

I have a Question about the Medico Great Dane Egg. Does it have a larger hole than the other cob pipes. It would be nice to have a cob with a bit larger hole.

2. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Sir, I do believe that you confused Missouri Meerschaum and Medico. MM is our beloved cob manufactuer. I don't own a great dane so I can't comment on that model...but if it's filtered just smoke it without the filter and that'll give you real wide airways.

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I would say that it's (Dane Egg, MM) about the size of the Pride/Washington bowls. If you're really looking for a nice big bowl that works very well........... consider a MM Freehand, MM CCSS Freehand, MM General, MM Macarthur. The General and the Freehands seem to share the same internal dimensions (or purtineer!) I believe the largest bowl MM makes currently (of standard sized cobs) belongs to the Diplomat.

4. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

I have a Diplomat and a Great Dane Egg, and while they are certainly bigger than the legend (all from MM) I would not consider them to be "large" bowls. They feel about the same as my Peterson Killarney.

I guess it's a perception of what your comparing it to... quite a bit bigger than the little MM legend, about the same as an average briar.

5. nobler son

nobler son Member

The chamber of a Great Dane Egg is about the size of the chamber on a medium sized briar. Which is HUGE by cob standards (not counting the Freehand, anyway). (Pretty much what Shootinok said, which I only read after the entirety of my post was written)

Specifically, about 3/4 of an inch across (chamber, not the bowl), and 1.5 inches deep.

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

One of the many reasons for which I like a cob is that it has a fine open draw reagrdless of which model it is - Falcons are the same. In my personal opinion an open draw makes for a better smoke - particularly if you are smoking a moister British tobacco.

Not everyone agrees - the long standing quality British Pipe makers Barling advovated exactly the opposite and gave Chapter and Verse as to why they thought this; all I can say is I tried my Barling "as was" and never got a really good smoke out of it until I took a needle file and Sas' diagramme on "ramping" and opened it up - it's now a favourite.

Diplomats make a grand smoking pipe and I believe Eggs will be the same; all I'd say is try the natural versions when they become available generally - they are superb. Smoke even cooler and drier than the pastered finish and in my opinion look both classy and classic!

Happy smoking all

Gerry

7. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I have the "Spool" version of this. The bowl seems to be the same diameter but looks a good 1/4 inch deeper then say a Legend.

8. Gradog

Gradog Member

My bad. I was thinking of the Medico filters. Thanks, it looks like there are more than one option.

9. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

No problem. I think everybody understood OK. I still don't know half the terminology used here. But if you can't dazzle em with brilliance...baffle em with bull****! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.