Great room note + great taste

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jdto, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdto

jdto Active Member

I am looking to add to my TAD list for the summer and I'd like to sample some tobac with good room note and also good taste. Right now, I have a couple in my stock that fall into that category, though both barely make it in the taste department, which are 4noggins Double Fantasy and Mac Baren Cherry Ambrosia. I'm sure I have a few others, but room note is tricky for me, as I mainly smoke outside. The goal is a tobacco that I could take to the cottage and not drive my friends and family away while still being tasty and enjoyable.

What are your winners for room note and taste?

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Maybe Mac Baren Vanilla Flake....I like that stuff, one of my favorite aromatics, and still has something "honest" about it...not TOO aromatic. I can still appreciate the tobacco, though it tastes and smells lightly of sweet vanilla. Also, SWRA. I've also gotten compliments for some of the aromatic Samuel Gawith blends.

Jussto, RTOdhner and jdto like this.
  3. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

+1

AK Kilted Guy, RTOdhner and jdto like this.
  4. LawMonkey

LawMonkey Member

No expert, but I think lane 1q has both.

IrishRover and jdto like this.
  5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Heck, roomnote is in the nose of the besniffer. I've had someone walk by while I was smoking a heavy latakia blend and say "hey, that smells really nice!"

I agree. But then someone else has asked "what the hell smells like burning plastic?"

RTOdhner, Old Codger and jdto like this.
  6. jdto

jdto Active Member

Thanks! Does the SWRA taste like regular SWR? I didn't get much in the flavour department from that one.

7. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

I often describe the room note of McClelland Brindle Flake as nostalgic, like visiting an old tobacco shop on a rainy day. I've never been quite able to put my finger on it. It might not be for everyone, but I find it intoxicating. As far as taste goes, it's rich & superb.

jdto likes this.
  8. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

If you like the taste of 1-Q, you can't go wrong with that as far as room note goes. Or a vanilla-cased black cavendish.

In my experience about the only thing that gets a negative reaction is Latakia. Va's, Va-Per's, Burleys, and Va/Orientals can all be passable, especially outside. But it's stuff like 1-Q that gets 'em swooning with nostalgia.

MakDragon and jdto like this.
  9. LawMonkey

LawMonkey Member

1q has a faint cinnamon note as well, IMO.

jdto likes this.
  10. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

No, it has a completely different cut, flavor, and aroma. The only things similar are nicotine level, name, and packaging.

MakDragon, RTOdhner and jdto like this.
  11. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

"People love cinnamon. It should be on tables at restaurants along with salt and pepper. Anytime anyone says, 'Oh This is so good. What's in it?' The answer invariably comes back, Cinnamon." - Jerry Seinfeld

jdto likes this.
  12. jdto

jdto Active Member

Great suggestions, so far. My cart at 4noggins is getting new additions in real time!

13. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Personally I love love love the taste and fresh aroma of the heavily floral blends from Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. such as Bosun Cut Plug....but once the pipe has been out for 30 minutes and the lingering smoke starts to go stale, it just smells like stale smoke...no more fresh flowers.

RTOdhner and jdto like this.
  14. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

Nesta's observation is dead on. I was walking around smoking 3 different tobaccos today and the one that drew the most favourable comments, or people moving downwind so that they could get an extra sniff without saying anything, was Connoisseur's Choice.

I guess it depends mostly on the tastes of the individuals that you'll be smoking around. The man that parks cars at a restaurant I go to every now and then just sits in my car and deep breathes the smell of University Flake that permeates it. The first time I went there, I got a phone call and the car was off so when I got out it must have looked like an outtake from a Cheech and Chong movie since I'd been puffing away the entire time. He doesn't smoke at all. I'd bet that the number of non-smokers that like the room note of University Flake is pretty small. I have a note in my address book now to make sure that I smoke that tobacco when ever I'm driving to that restaurant.

Since you are already dealing with 4Noggins why not just send him a note with your requirements and ask for suggestions. If you end up exploring some different tobaccos while at the cottage, that can't be the worst way to enjoy being there.

Marker, RTOdhner and jdto like this.
  15. jdto

jdto Active Member

Good idea. I'll send Rich a note. In the mean time, this thread is a nice way to get some opinions from the varied and very helpful membership around here. :D

16. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Nope. Very different. The SWRA is a great "full" aro: a wonderful burley base with a very nice flavoring agent applied with an even hand. It is one of the few full aromatics I've found that attains a perfect balance between the tobacco and the flavoring. Great stuff, and you outta try a pouch or two.

17. lostopossum

lostopossum Member

I find that McCelland's fragrant matured cake is awesome on both fronts. It is a broken Virginia flake with a very light maple top coat. It smells like maple syrup and has a very nice sweet flavor. I have probably smoked pounds of it over my 8 years of pipe smoking.

ruralhipster, jdto and Stonewall like this.
  18. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I would suggest some McClelland 2000, and 2020. I found them to be very good. YMMV.

jdto likes this.
  19. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

+1 on that and maybe Lane RLP-6 too..

jdto likes this.
  20. Artistik

Artistik Member

Hmmm. pleasant room note and still tastes good? Boswells Bear Blend. Great room note and a smidgin of latakia so the taste is great also.

jdto and prole like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.