1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Greetings

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by thatpipedude, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatpipedude

thatpipedude Member

Greeting all, I am a 28 y/o who has been smoking pipes for about as long as I legally could. I have visited various forums lurking and such finally decided to join one and post. I am not a pipe/tobacco snob in any manner. I have always loved the smells and looks of a pipe, I mainly remember older men at auctions and garage sells and such smoking them and LOVED the smell, my grandpa used to smoke pipes but had moved to cigarettes long before I came along. I only knew of this because my grandma commented on it reminding her of him when she came outside and seen me smoking one day. She is still looking for is old pipes and tobacco tins for me (not something he'd ever have thrown away, just a lot of stuff to go through). Most of the pipes I have are estate pipes from ebay or local auctions, I have only bought 2 pipes new (a Peterson and a Nording) which I found in a tobacco shop a few hours away. I really love getting an old crummy looking pipe and cleaning it up, polishing it and making it worth smoking again. Most of my pipes are briar, I do have a few cobs and a meer that was given to me as a present. As far as tobacco goes, I have various tins of Peterson mixtures, Escudo, and Frog Morten, as well as about 10 lbs of various VaPers, burly's and aromatics from 4noggins cellared (came in very handy when I was laid off for 3 months...didn't spend a dime on tobacco). However, 80% of the time I smoke CBW out of the same couple pipes. It is my everyday go-to smoke, not sure why. I just love the flavor, everyone around me loves the room note and, when I smoke where I can while I am out, it gets nothing but compliments. I still enjoy the other tobacco's when the mood strikes me for something different. Since I went back to work, I have started smoking cigarettes some too, because once I get on location I don't have time to enjoy a proper pipe, it's work work work, that's the oilfield for you. I do smoke a pipe on occasion while I'm driving to location, and the other day another driver wanted to know what I was using for an air freshener because he wanted to get some...just CBW.

[attachment=1206:pipes2.jpg]

These are my favorite pipes to smoke. There are 3 Sasieni's, a Savinelli, a Peterson, a Nording, my meer, a Hialeah, MM cob, a Viking, and an EA Carey Magic Inch.

2. mitch

mitch Member

Welcome. Good to see some one my age smoking pipes! Nice looking pipes. Im a sucker for Nordings. If the wife would let me I would by a Nording every pay check!

3. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

Welcome, I like that Nørding, is the Peterson the one right under it?

4. thatpipedude

thatpipedude Member

That it is!

5. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

Really nice pipe, I love the Petes with that kind of band, my favourite pipe is my Pete Sherlock Holmes Squire with a silver band.

6. thatpipedude

thatpipedude Member

I agree They are terrific looking pipes. The shop I got that at had one other Nording it had no finish on it, a signature I believe. Look the well used and smoked ones up on the internet. The coloring they get from the tobacco and the oil from your hands looks amazing overtime.

7. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

Right, I'm not crazy about their look when they are new, but those no stain pipes can look absolutely incredible after a few years.

Nørding really is an exceptional talent, I still don't have one, but it's on my list ;)

I'm blown away by the 2009 hunter pipe. http://www.danishpipeshop.com/nordinghunter.htm

8. Jay

Jay Active Member

Welcome pipedude, nice collection. Good to have you here!

J

9. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

That's quite a collection you've got there, pipedude! If you like CBW, you'll probably really enjoy Lane BCA. Welcome to PSF...the friendliest group of pipesmokers around!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.