Grey Havens

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Sasquatch, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Having enjoyed (rather rapidly :dunno: ) some Kingfisher, and having found it both subtle and different than almost everything I've ever smoked, I have begun a sort of double-edged journey. The first is to find a replacement for Kingfisher, the second to push my nose just a little further into the Burley realm, where hitherto I have not ventured much.

I've been enjoying McClelland blends a lot recently, revisiting some old faves and trying things in a few directions. Had been meaning especially to try some Deep Hollow, which sounds right up my alley - sweet, lightly aromatic, wimpy strength, Va based stuff. Therefore I added Grey Havens to my cart on a last-minute "oooh this is a Va/Per/Bur" sort of whim. Oops!

I like.

There are quite a few "hot air" 1 star ratings on tobaccoreviews, and I can kind of understand this. There's a woody sort of flatness about the burley, and surely if you suck on this blend too eagerly the reward is no flavor and a burnt tongue. But with a little patience and careful technique (or even better, basically ignoring the pipe and doing something else in the meantime) the stuff comes through. A very subtle topping, similar to the not-quite-vanilla taste in Virginia Woods, but a beefier smoke due to both the perique punch and the burley carrier.

It's not Kingfisher, it's like if Kingfisher were made in Denmark. I wouldn't call it a contemplative smoke, especially, I don't find it changes much through the bowl, but it's a solid undemanding companion as long as you don't beat on it.

Interestingly, the reviews of Kingfisher are very similar - some guys love it and others can only find hot wet air.

So, if you aren't a big nic hound, and you want a great big bowl of something pleasant, Grey Havens might just be worth a look.

2. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

Sas,

Good review! I have been meaning to try Virginia Woods, Deep Hollow and Grey Havens. I may place these blends on my "secret Santa" list.

Phil.

3. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Grey Havens is a great blend! You can see my review of it on tobaccoreviews.com under strongirish. Very few burley/perique blends work well but this one is the exception!

4. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I'm going to have to try that one. Like Sas I tried some Kingfisher, was really taken with it and now I am looking for others that are in that same vein. I wish we could still get Kingfisher.

5. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

I've always enjoyed Grey Havens and Deep Hollow. Ive yet to nab a tin Virginia Woods, but if it's a branch off the same plant, I'll likely find a place for it in the cellar.

:cheers:
    -- Carl

6. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

Reviving this one--

I just acquired a tin of Deep Hollow myself, and am enjoying it. I haven't come across the Grey Havens yet, but am on the lookout. I was very surprised I couldn't find any review for Deep Hollow on TR.com.

7. Wicklow

Wicklow Member

They do have reviews for it listed under McClelland - Craftsbury Series: Deep Hollow. I agree with you, I find Deep Hollow to be a fine smoke. Haven't tried Grey Havens yet but I mean to add it to my next order.

8. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

Well i'll be -- I had no idea it was a craftbury series toby, so missed it completely! I thought it was strange, now I know I am strange!!

9. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

So i realize this post is about a year old, but I'm trying Grey Havens right now and my oh my is it good. I am honest sold on this, I was sold from the first match! It had a really sweet taste right off the bat and now I can taste the burlys... and Perique! This blend is a winner! And it's also named from the Lord of the Rings! :D

10. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I've got an open and mostly empty tin of Kingfisher. Good thing I've got another full, sealed tin of it! Picked it up at a pipe show, and the packaging is a touch different than more recent batches of the blend. Some writing on the bottom (in permanent marker) would suggest it's at least from 2001. Can't wait until I can open it up :)

For folks looking for a good Virginia-Burley-Perique blend, I might suggest Exhausted Rooster. Medium bodied, so if you're all about very mild blends it may be a touch stronger than you prefer, but I tend to prefer stronger blends so I find it just right for an "all day" smoke when I don't want my head spinning. The burley is not at the forefront, and the Perique is definitely present but to my taste added with a relatively light hand. Definitely more VA than burley up front, but the three tobaccos mix quite harmoniously. Not a replacement for Kingfisher, but it's a great blend in it's own right. For what it's worth, it's a C&D flake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.