Grinders?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Sweatsack, Aug 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

I was in Rich's Cigar Shop in Portland this spring and the young lady who hooked me up with some great custom aromatic blends there had an interesting suggestion regarding Virginia flakes. I commented that I really like the flavor of VA flakes but am kind of shying away from flakes because the prep work is just kind of a pain in the ass.

Her suggestion was to go to a head shop and buy a grinder, which I guess folks who roll "other" types of cigarettes use? Back in my day I had the old thumb-index finger grinder so I don't know about that.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had ever heard of this tip. If so, does it work out alright? If not, well, just passing along the advice.

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

No exerience of that kind of grinder or what it was used for - but I'd say depending on how fine you wanted the tobacco it'd probably work; after all I once knew a guy who used a food grater to deal with moist plug and bar tobacco. Mind you he did then mix it half and half with C+++ tobacco - you know the kind a certain Moderator will ban me for mentioning!

Best to all,

Gerry

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

You don't have to go to a "head" shop, a Snuff grinders can be found at many of the usual retailers.

4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Is it seriously THAT much work??
    If so, I'll PM you my addy so you
    can send all your VAs to me. :puffy:

dp

5. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

I don't know if it's so much work as much as I have yet to figure out how to get it right. It seems like I have to sit there and finely shred it or else it won't light. I might take you up on that offer except one day I sat out on the porch with all my flakes and rubbed them out finely so they would be "ready rub".

6. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I know a number of rope smokers who favor using "whirly blade" coffee choppers (grinders). Gotta confess I never made the rope move so haven't tried it myself.

7. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I think a "whirly blade" would work just fine with tobacco. I wouldn't use a burr grinder unless you intend on sending the tobacco through an espresso machine or a french press. :cheers:

8. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i use a double guillotine cigar cutter. failing that a knife or scissors. its really no more prep work than a flake once you slice it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.