Growing Start-up

Discussion in 'Tobacco Growing Forum' started by zirrow, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zirrow

zirrow Member

ComputerGuy and I are going to try our hand at growing some tobacco this year. We figure we've got room for about 60 plants between our yards (and if it works out, that may expand :)). We started the seeds out today in four 25 count seed trays, with two trays containing Virginia Bright, one tray of Golden Burley, and one tray of Kentucky #5. I hope to keep this thread going with updates throughout the season to get any tips from those of you with more experience and to maybe help out some others that similar ideas. It's not much to look at, but here's our start:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Scottly

Scottly Member

Grow Grow Grow :)

zirrow likes this.
  3. zirrow

zirrow Member

yea, I just checked... still hasn't sprouted :(

4. bluetip84

bluetip84 Member

Awesome! Good luck and I can not wait to see how it goes.

zirrow likes this.
  5. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

That's really cool you guys are doing that. Make sure they get plenty of light! When I first tried starting some vegetable seeds inside I didn't have enough light and they ended up being thin and spindly. -David
    PS I like the computer case table:)

Old Codger, Elwin and zirrow like this.
  6. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I'm anxious to see how it works out for you. There is no use in me trying to grow anything. I can't even get tomato or pepper plants to live and produce.

Chriss and zirrow like this.
  7. zirrow

zirrow Member

We're actually starting things in a PC repair shop, so the table was quite fitting ;)

Elwin and dwaugh like this.
  8. Capt

Capt Active Member

Can't wait to see how it turns out!!!

zirrow likes this.
  9. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

I've just got a few seeds too you've reminded me to plant them thanks. Good luck with it all.

zirrow likes this.
  10. zirrow

zirrow Member

Good luck to you as well; keep us posted!

TRAVIS likes this.
  11. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I've been staring at that photo of the planted seeds for almost 7 hours now and nothings happened :msty: -David

12. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Awesome! Looking forward to updates on your adventure.

zirrow likes this.
  13. zirrow

zirrow Member

I appreciate it! I've got plenty of un-patient help, though (Guy may start foaming at the mouth before they even sprout). I'm keeping the data in a spreadsheet (for now; there may be a database in the future), maybe I can send you some numbers for nice graph to keep the readers interested :p:

Old Codger and dwaugh like this.
  14. James Horton

James Horton Member

I'm defiantly tuned into this thread. I'm a huge fan of gardening and I have 2 30'x30' gardens and one 4'x16' garden mainly for veggies though as I cook and can most everything that comes out of it. If you wouldn't mind I might have to paypal you some funds and buy a sampler pack of your finished product if all works out. Very interested in small growers instead of the huge growers that grow in mass and spray insecticides/pesticides and other chems on their crops. Props to you for growing :)

zirrow likes this.
  15. zirrow

zirrow Member

Day 6 Update: Came in this morning and peeked through the plastic domes and found that I have sprouts in three of the four trays! I have approximately three green sprouts in each of the Virginia trays and in the Golden Burley tray, with numerous hairy, white spindles about to pop. The Kentucky #5 doesn't show any signs of sprouting, but it's still pretty early on.

[​IMG]

You can just see the white spindles in the center pod and the one to the right. I threw several seeds per pod as, 1) they are very tiny and grabbing just one would have gotten extremely frustrating very quickly, 2) I wasn't sure what the rate of duds would be, so I loaded the pods up with the intent to cull all but the best sprouts once everything starts coming up.

bubbagump and dwaugh like this.
  16. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Totally awesome! You gotcha some baby bacci's!

zirrow likes this.
  17. James Horton

James Horton Member

Congrats on your first sprouts man. I bet that was a great start to the morning

zirrow likes this.
  18. zirrow

zirrow Member

It was a GREAT start!

Day 7 Update: Came in this morning and all of the pods in one Virginia and the Golden Burly tray have green sprouts. The other Virginia tray has green sprouts in probably two-thirds of the pods. A few of the Golden Burly sprouts are huge compared to the rest; I may need to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't start bullying the smaller sprouts :p:. No real action from the Kentucky, but some of the seeds look like they're getting a bit out of focus, which I think means they're on their way to popping open and starting their journey.

Old Codger likes this.
  19. zirrow

zirrow Member

Day 7 Pictures: Here is the group shot, showing the numerous sprouts popping up and a few blurry closeups showing a couple of the pods.
    [​IMG]

this is the "mongo twins" pod. These two are definitely the largest of the sprouts.
    [​IMG]

Here you can see how many sprouts I have in some of the pods. Once they get a little further along, I'll start the culling process.
    [​IMG]

dwaugh likes this.
  20. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Lookin great! In a couple weeks, you'll be able to see which sprouts you'll be able to cull out.. VERY COOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.