Growing Start-up

Discussion in 'Tobacco Growing Forum' started by zirrow, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

:toast: I can't get over how quickly yours took off. I'll have to run to Lowe's after work and see what I can find to get mine started in.

2. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

bubbagump likes this.
  3. bubbagump

:xd:I bet. That is one benefit of me living alone. I can setup the pods wherever I want.:bday:

Edit: I think I'm going to start them in little cups (i.e. the plastic/disposable shot glasses). It'll be more work for watering, but it'll give me more flexibility with where I set them up (i.e. window ledges). I've got a BIG window overlooking the garden tub in my master bathroom. I could setup a few dozen of these on that ledge (the best direct light of any of the windows in the house).

We'll see. I could get a couple of the pod enclosures and set some up in those small cups.

Old Codger likes this.
  4. zirrow

zirrow Member

I have tote upon tote of tobacco stacked in a room at work. I have not processed or smoked a single bit of it as things got a bit hectic for a while and I kind of veered away from the pipe for a few months. To tell you the truth, I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing when it comes to processing it. I do have a few of the very first leaves that I jarred up when I started harvesting; I may pull a jar out one of these evenings and give it a whirl.

Wicker Man, Old Codger, dBear and 2 others like this.
  5. bubbagump

I'm curious to see how it works (the processing).

Wicker Man and zirrow like this.
  6. zirrow

zirrow Member

yea, I'm curious about that myself :popc:

Wicker Man, Old Codger and bubbagump like this.
  7. bubbagump

:xd::toast:

zirrow likes this.
  8. bubbagump

I got my first batch of seeds going this evening. 10 foam cups total (I want 10 viable plants...at most). If I can get more than that started, I'll put the extra in little pots and see if any local members would be interested in adopting them. I don't really have the space to do much more than that this year. Next year, I'll try to get a raised bed installed and shoot for 20+ plants.

I had good luck with Miracle Grow potting soil with my veggies last year, so I went that route with these seeds. My setup is pretty basic, so I'll wait on posting up pictures until I see some green shoots peeking up.

Old Codger likes this.
  9. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

Hey I like your hat :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

bubbagump and dBear like this.
  10. ulysses

ulysses New Member

Hey zirrow, I'm trying to wrap my head around the whole growing/curing process, and I like what you've been doing - so far I'm good up until the harvested plants are done air curing. What exactly did you do with yours at that point? (for storage or fermenting)

11. zirrow

zirrow Member

That's the million dollar question, isn't it. I'm not entirely sure what to do with all of it at this point. When we took them down, they went into totes and are stacked in a corner.

Old Codger and ulysses like this.
  12. ulysses

ulysses New Member

Ahhhhh, I see... I admit, this is the part of the process that intimidates me the most. The thought of putting in so much work and losing everything to mold... :( Good luck sir!!

zirrow and Old Codger like this.
  13. bubbagump

I picked up one of those 72 pod seed starting setups today. I've got that setup on the dinner table in my kitchen :D (nice big bay window there). If the first bunch (in the foam cups) doesn't do well...I'll have a second bunch of seeds right behind them.

I know I said 10 plants earlier...but I'm going to try for more. The raised beds around my deck can handle 6-8 plants. I can put another 5-10 plants on the side of the house (gets the most light) by my A/C unit. I can situate several more by my garage and others on my deck.

I may pick-up some 5 gallon buckets to put others in (would that work?).

Old Codger likes this.
  14. bubbagump

It's alive! I didn't have time to take pictures this morning, but I've got shoots coming up.:bday: So...it took 13 days to get the first plant coming up in the foam cups. I see four plants total in the cups. Two Kentucky #5 and two Virginia Gold.

What's really impressive though...there are already four shoots in the 72 pod contraption (planted the 24th). I need to check my note on the lid of that thing (I had it removed and set to the side since I had the mold issue), but I think those are probably K #5 and VG, as well.:toast:

dBear and zirrow like this.
  15. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

I'm not going to be planting quite as much as you guys, it looks like 1 burley plant had quite a yield. say I had room for maybe a dozen to 15 plants, how much would that yield in terms of ounces/pounds?

16. bubbagump

You're looking at approximately three ounces (yield) per plant.

Are you starting from seeds or established plants? If seeds...keep in mind that you will have some die off. You'll want to start out with a good bit more than you're hoping to plant. I started out with 70+ sprouts. I'm down to ~38 plants at the moment.

Check out Wicker Man's thread (if you haven't already). His plants have been looking pretty good.

dBear likes this.
  17. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Does it give ya the step by step? I'd be starting from seed.

18. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I can attest to the fact that for a good successful grow you need a closet, grow lights, and plenty of water. And neighbors that can keep a secret.

19. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Nah, not gonna be growing anything wacky. I've got good scotch that can better serve that purpose, lol.

20. bubbagump

I've not seen a step by step. A lot of it (i.e. your setup), you just have to figure out for yourself (or you can just copy another members setup).

Speaking from experience....I think not having grow lights didn't do my plants any favors. I think it's been weeks since some of them have had any progress at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.