Growing Start-up

Discussion in 'Tobacco Growing Forum' started by zirrow, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baccyman

Baccyman Member

I'm trying to cut down on the number this year too. Last year I grew 150 plants. This year I'm shooting for about 130. I have quite a few new varieties I'm growing this year. I'm particularly excited about the seeds I got from a guy in Turkey. Next year I should finally be able to do just maintenance grows of about 40 plants per year.

Jeebs likes this.

2. zirrow

zirrow Member

I was out cleaning the tobacco plants the other day and noticed quite a few of the Burpee pellets were still very much intact. I'm not sure if I was supposed to have removed the wrap before putting them in the ground, but I would have thought the wrap would have broken up. The pellets looks like they may have bound a few of my plants. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up if they use this product. The original packaging can be seen in the first post of this thread.

[​IMG]

Old Codger likes this.
  3. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

That picture is gonna scare the hell out of craig.

dBear and Goat like this.
  4. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

That's odd...that stuff is supposed to degrade.:cfsd: It doesn't look like the roots had an issue getting established though.

5. zirrow

zirrow Member

That's what I thought. All of the plants I kicked up had some amount of it left in the roots. That one was one of the worst, and that plant's stalk is maybe a third the diameter of the largest plants.

6. Labman

Labman Member

This thread has been a great read! Thanks for posting it. I just wish I lived further south so I could give tobacco growing a go! :)

7. Baccyman

Baccyman Member

Where do you live?, There are plenty of people that grow in Canada

8. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

I'm doing a rain dance for your next crop... no wait, that's the coffee talking. :oops:
    I'd love to try growing tobacco, but I'm on the road too much. My tomato plants and avacado trees are all but dead when I get back because the girls don't water them.

dBear likes this.
  9. Labman

Labman Member

I live in the northern part of Canada (up in Labrador). I doubt it would be possible to grow tobacco...although, some people do grow potatoes, cabbage, carrots, rutabaga, etc. around here.

10. Longshanks

I wonder if a small greenhouse would work for you. I don't know much about growing tobacco, but a greenhouse could be an alternative. You could always use grow lights for light and heat during the darker, colder days.

11. Labman

Labman Member

Perhaps your right. My friend has a greenhouse (basically it's see through plastic covering a wooden frame) that she uses to grow strawberries and flowers that works quite well.

12. Longshanks

Yeah, the term greenhouse is generic. You can hammer 4 pieces of 1' x 6' together as a base frame, then 4 risers in the corners and throw a thick mil plastic sheet over it and call it a greenhouse.
    As long as it fits your plants, aesthetics is secondary.

Wicker Man and Labman like this.
  13. zirrow

zirrow Member

I used an electric water timer to water mine. Worked great and didn't require daily checks over at the "field". I think I picked it up for around fifty bucks at Walmart.

Longshanks likes this.
  14. derrickyoung

derrickyoung Member

Just read all 9 pages. What a great read. Zircon have you sampled it yet?

I would try this but I can not find Dunhill nightcap seeds

Old Codger and Raffxr7 like this.
  15. derrickyoung

derrickyoung Member

Sorry Zirrow, Damn Auto(mis)correct on ipad

16. Baccyman

Baccyman Member

Try growing your own. Chances are that once you taste "REAL" tobacco, you won't buy anymore processed/doctored up/adulterated tobacco anymore. On the down side though it took me about 12 years and over 50 varieties until I finally found "the one"

Wicker Man and dBear like this.
  17. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I was hoping to get the seeds going indoors by early/mid April. With the temperatures that we've been having lately though, I'm thinking that I'll have to put that off.

18. Albert

Albert Active Member

Ive been wondering about your results/final product... how did you process it? did you smoke it yet? Mr. Harvey wants to know .... the rest of the story...

dBear and Wicker Man like this.
  19. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

+1 :nwor: [​IMG]

20. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Member

bubbagump likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.