Grrr

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jayson H Bucy, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

I've been smoking an English blend sample that one of the wonderful PSF members was kind enough to send me. I've had one bowl of my 50/50 blend in the last two week and none of my aro's that I loved so much since I got the sampler.

That's right I said loved. I really want a bowl of aros and they are sorry now. Not that they taste bad, but they are so wet and sticky. I packed to a good draw, lit up, and about 2 minutes (no exaggeration) the air hole was clogged. Gently tried to aerate the bowl a little and got it puffing smoothly and sat back with my book and it did it again. Talk about mad, I dumped the bowl and now I'm loading another pipe with some English.

But seriously, the tobacco is a month old and still really moist. Think its the top coat or whatever it is they use. Boswell's No Bite by the way.

2. shadow

shadow Active Member

So: What's the plan? Are you giving up aros for English Blends or will you dry out the aro?
    I have a slightly aromatic Flake which I dried out for a whole week (out of the tin) until it was up to the consistency that I like.

3. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I was the same way. Only smoked aros. CB white and a local B&M's CB like blend. Then another local Toby shop owner sent me to Kramer's Tobacco in Bev Hills Calif. He told me to order their Fr Dempsey's Blend, their Danny Kaye Blend and their English Blend. All very similar and yet the Fr Dempsey is just amazing to ME. I love it and have had similar experiences returning to aros. HOWEVER, I have purchased a blend from the Gettysburg Cigar Shop called General Longstreet that is a mild aro and absolutely love it. But if push came to shove, I'd take only the Fr Dempsey. In fact last month I ordered a pound of it and split it up into 2 oz Bell jars for cellaring.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Well , youre lucky . It's only been a couple of weeks on English blends . Imagine if ya smoked English blends for a few years .... ya would hardly taste the aro . Why do ya think , on TR , that many aro reviews start out with ... I'm mostly an English smoker and find aros to be lame but I'll give this aro blend a review .. etc . I really enjoy an English blend .. the Sutliff CD blend I was smoking for a review was stellar and I can see smoking an ounce a day . But I wont , cause in my case , when I used to smoke quite a bit of English blends .. it ruined other styles cause the latakia just does something to taste buds day after day over time . As far as yer not enjoying the aro because of the wetness or whatever . It must have worked for ya before if ya loved it .. so , either you screwed the pack job or the aro is just so so . Get another aro or give it a second shot . Or ... you'll go through a phase of ' I'm only smoking English blends now ' ...nothing wrong with that . I think , in 30 years , I went through a phase for everything there is . The last ten years ... I enjoy smoking every style there is . Imo , thats the goal . I mean if it were the old - old days ... I'd a had a Redhead , brunette , blonde and because there isnt anything else ... I'd have come up w/ hair color .. lol . Variety keeps it all youthfull

Mark w4mms and ATXPipe like this.
  5. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Uh oh...... someone's sleeping on the couch tonight...... lol!

6. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

If your aros are smoking sticky, you probably need some different aros. While I have some respect for Boswell, the stuff I've seen from him has some real glycol on it, but I think that's the case with a lot of bulk aromatics, because moisture would escape quickly in the large, not-so-airtight jars most are kept in. You might try some tinned offerings for that reason. I had one of Sutliff's blends sent to me for a blind review, and I didn't find it goopy at all. There's lots of good tinned aros out there to suit nearly every taste.

And yes, they are generally milder than English blends, but sometimes that's a good thing. A couple of months ago I would have told you to just forget about them, but given my recent experience, I wouldn't write them off so quickly.

Herb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.