1. Sales and advertising are not allowed in this section. This forum is for discussing pipe making only.

If a pipe or item is for sale, or potentially for sale, do not post it in this forum section.

Dismiss Notice

Guarantee yourself a good smoker

Discussion in 'Pipe Making Forums' started by Sasquatch, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Well-Known Member

I think there's more than one "right" way to build a pipe, and this tubos or "reverse calabash" idea gets good play from everyone who has smoked one; but if that's so, there's also for sure more than one way to build a pipe that smokes like crap.

50rayj and jdto like this.

2. dwpipes

dwpipes Sales Account

Hi Andrew,
    I don't know what a system or turbo pipe is. The maker is Anthony Harris (is he a member here?) www.acmepipes.com. He calls them double chamber pipes. He also had a triple chamber pipe, which he was showing around, but said he'd never make another. Obviously the skill level required to pull off these shapes in briar is high and the 'engineering' must be precise, but they seem to break all of the various 'perfect pipe' rules as I understand them. He sites the Calabash Gourd pipe as a traditional double chamber pipe and has a page of theory and explanation.

3. jediknight129

jediknight129 Member

ok I am having trouble with my pipe, during smoking it gurgles and sometimes well half the time I cant seem to get the pipe cleaner into the stem more than half a cm unless i flip the pipe cleaner round. it will pass a pipe cleaner through the stem when I go bottom to top though. How do I fix that?

4. dwpipes

dwpipes Sales Account

I frequently run into the problem that the lip end of the air duct is too restrictive to start a pipe cleaner when restoring pipes. I use a 5/64" drill bit on a Dremel flex shaft. I first go straight in the center, but be careful if the stem is bent so you don't punch through. Once I have a slightly larger center hole, I gently move the drill bit from side to side to open up the slot further and then work the air duct into a slightly flaring oval side to side from about 1/2" to 5/8" in to the end. That usually solves the pipe cleaner problem. I don't think that will effect the gurgle though.

5. jediknight129

jediknight129 Member

aye it's a bent, I am tempted to use a file a little. thoughts?

6. Sasquatch

You'll have better results if you heat up the stem and straighten it before trying to tool it. Do you know if it's rubber or acrylic?

7. jediknight129

jediknight129 Member

its hard black a plastic sorta feel so I assume acrylic

8. Sasquatch

Sounds like. Boil it in water, it'll straighten right out for you. You might suspend it - don't boil the tenon (just a precaution, it shouldn't matter), but the bent part will straighten up at 100C.

9. jediknight129

jediknight129 Member

I will take a file away and do that at work this weekend.

10. Squidpanda

Squidpanda Member

Thanks Sasquatch, great info. I wish I had some one explain that to me when I bought my first pipe.

11. Sasquatch

Me too. It's not rocket science but it is science.

12. roberted5

roberted5 Member

Do you mean a gap from the tenon to draft hole?Do you have a picture of the pipe you made from 1500 year old briar,was it still growing or petrified?

13. Sasquatch

A gap from the tenon to the draft hole is maybe not ideal, but that's hard to measure by eye. I was just referring to whether on the outside, the end of the shank and the shoulder of the stem come together flush. They should.

I would worry less about a gap between the end of the tenon and the end of the mortise than some guys might - every bent Peterson pipe is built with a huge gap (to accept a 9mm filter in some models) and they still smoke fine.

14. roberted5

roberted5 Member

Thanks for the help.

15. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

I wish I was awake enuff to read all this b/c I know I need to know it.
    Maybe in the morning.
    Thanks Sas.

16. Orson

Orson Member

Great information in your posts! Thanks!

17. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

Great read, thanks :)

18. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

This is all seriously great info! Unfortunately, it also seems to mean (to me) it's about impossible to buy a pipe online unless:
    1. I totally trust the person that's created the pipe
    2. Or, there are crystal clear pictures of the pipe. Those shots must also be those which will answer those questions by OP; however, it's rare to see pipes pictured to get those questions answered. At least I've not seen a pipe listed with those shots. Then again, perhaps what I can afford has prevented me from going to those sites where pipes are listed with enough clear pics to do the job.

Perhaps I'm over reacting to the info above and my total lack of knowing it before reading it. I'm now very concerned about buying a pipe online (and only in person). This sux because in Texas: there never seems to be any pipe shows.

19. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Member

If it doesn't work, I would suggest you look out kid, it's somethin' ya did..

20. Shatteredzen

Shatteredzen Member

Corncobs are some of the clumsiest built pipes and some of them smoke great. This conversation is about ideal drill depths and the pursuit of perfection. The things being discussed are more about helping pipe makers improve their techniques not dissuade you from buying a pipe from anywhere but fourth generation master pipesmiths who meditate while carving intricate freehands with an opinel in a cloud of latakia smoke. As far as buying a pipe online, I think you'll be able to smoke most of em just fine ;)

BriarRabbit likes this.