1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Gubbels Big Ben calabash

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by PriorWrath, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PriorWrath

PriorWrath Member

I'm thinking about buying this calabash and I need some wise advice, so if anyone has any praxis about this particular pipe or the manufacturer in general, I'd be happy to hear some testimonials. Is this even a real gourd? If not, is it automatically a bad purchase for $180?
    [​IMG]
    edit: Link to picture: http://postimage.org/image/1888f8lg/

2. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

So sorry, your picture didn't post. Try posting a link, instead. I'm sure someone who knows about Calabash Pipes will be a long soon.

3. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Not sure who makes it from looking at the pic. I had a real gourd Calabash, and it was a great smoker... too bad I lost it, and several other great pipes in a move a while back.

4. PriorWrath

PriorWrath Member

Made by Gubbels, as stated in the thread title. Mostly I'm confused about the significance of outer bowl material. Are the real gourd ones somehow way better than the fake ones?

Darn, too bad about your pipes. Let's hope they turn up somewhere.

5. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

Hey Mark, he said it was a Gubbels Big Ben Calabash.:) Nevermind, he beat me to it.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  6. user1975

user1975 Active Member

D'oh, how did I miss that? My bad!:doh:

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It looks like gourd to me , bet even if it is wood [ light in weight wood ] , it would smoke the same . When the gourd dries ... it kinda like a wood really. I can say this much . A gourd Calabsh like that one .... nothing smokes as good as they do . They are good for the house only , is the only downer . Theyre the best smokers in the world

Mark w4mms likes this.
  8. PriorWrath

PriorWrath Member

Thanks for the info. I placed an order today, so I'm expecting to have that beatiful horn on my hands sometime next week.

If someone has any first hand experiences with Gubbels pipes, I'd still like to hear about them.

9. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

That's probably not gourd...looks more like the mahogany style that Sinan is selling. They're OK, but I've heard of the wood splitting on some of the cheaper ones.
    Can't comment on the maker of yours, as I've not heard of him/her/it? Hope it gives you good wervice.

10. PriorWrath

PriorWrath Member

I got it today, and it's definitely gourd. This is the best thing I've bought in a while. Just beautiful and feels wonderful.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Close-up from the insides. As you can see, it's as gourd as it gets.
    [​IMG]
    The cat is getting ready for the weekend.

I paid €140 for this, which is around 192 in US money.

11. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

That kitteh is eyein' your booze in a suspicious way. Better keep a close watch on the furry little critter, 'cause they can be sneaky.

A most handsome pipe! I don't have one of those but have always wanted one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.