Gurgling Pipe Issue

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Monkey, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Good evening.

I am having a problem with my pipe gurgling.

It is a Darby pipe, straight billiard, with the stinger removed. I bought it at least six years ago in an antique shop. I smoked it twice with the stinger in it then and said a few choice words and packed it up.

Recently I pulled it out, cleaned it well with alcohol and did two salt and alcohol soaks to clean it as I never properly cleaned it in the past. I let it dry for two days before smoking it. I have been smoking CH and Edward's Vintage Cube out of it trying to form a cake as I have removed the old cake that was in there. The new cake is forming nicely but there is still moisture forming. I read here that no cake will make a pipe gurgle as the heat and moisture doesn't properly get absorbed so iI figured it was growing pains. But, as the cake forms I am still having this issue.

The draught hole is in the very bottom center of the bowl. I havehave usd the three step method and the "codger" method of packing. I am sipping and using a slow cadence to the point where I have quite a few relights and no bite. If I tip the stem downwards, I get a drip from the mouthpiece. Usually about a third of the way into the bowl right after the first gurgles.

I have been using pipe cleaners to dry out the inside as I smoke. Quite a few pipe cleaners...

For reference, I recently picked up a Savinelli Duco Carlo apple that I have been smoking SG BBF out of with no issues other than normal learning to smoke flake issues (relights, packing) but I am doing much better with it.

My cobs also perform well, one smoking Edward's Scottish Moor, a mild aro and another for whatever....even smoking the same burley blends that make the Darby gurgle.

How do I stop the accumulation of moisture in the stem/bowl? Is it the briar itself or the pipe?

Mike.

2. dhintonca

dhintonca Member

First I'd try smoking the Ewards in your Darby, to eliminate any tobacco issues -- if it smokes dry, you know it's a tobacco issue. If wet, a pipe issue. So if it IS a pipe issue, I'd try countersinking the end of the tenon - this has been discussed in various places around this board so you might search for "countersink". This may be all you need do!

Mister Moo likes this.
  3. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

My morning pipe will be the Edward's in the Darby again.

Now, not being the most handy guy, and reading the rather technical threads in the search....just so I am clear, I would want to widen the hole in the stem a bit where it joins the wood, right?

4. dhintonca

dhintonca Member

In the stem, yes, not the briar! Use a 1/4" drill bit, hold it in your fingers and rotate it maybe 3-5 full turns at most. This will produce a nice countersink effect which changes the airflow so that moisture drops out before entering the stem itself. The moisture is then dried by heat or absorbed by wood or runs back into the tobacco where it is dried (I really don't know which it is!) - the net result is .... no gurgle! :)

shadow likes this.
  5. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Cool! Thank you.

6. dhintonca

dhintonca Member

My pleasure - let us know how you make out!

7. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

My morning smoke today gurgled again. This evening I will countersink the stem...after it has properly cooled.

8. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Just countersunk it. A little piece chipped off right at the tip but doesn't affect the draw as far as I can tell. Results in the morning!

9. dhintonca

dhintonca Member

Unfortunate - possibly you went a touch too deep, but it shouldn't affect anything.

10. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Live and learn. As long as it smokes better and drier I don't mind. That pipe is pretty rough looking as it is.

11. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Will be curious to see what your results are. I had a meerschaum pipe that was a notorious gurgler. I didn't smoke it often. I drilled out the entire stem, then counter sank the end. It did cure the gurgle...

12. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

I fired her up this morning and had a beautiful dry smoke.

Thank you!

BradNTX and Old Codger like this.
  13. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

Bernoulli had it right.

Mister Moo likes this.
  14. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I was going to get all pessimistic on this, Monkey; the weird spaces in stinger shanks usually create a lot of expansion and turbulence enroute to the stem. Those two things conspire to force condensation. I have had fair-to-no luck stopping drool from manifesting in the stems of a couple of stinger pipes. I'm kinda done with stinger pipes, no offense to the stock Kaywoodie, etc. folks.

Opening and smoothing things is the way to go and it's great to hear you had a good result. If the pipe is now smokeable, the gradual addition of cake in the bowl might further improve the pipe. Good luck with it!

15. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

And/or air flows smoother through the stem and there is much less condensation?

16. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

I am just speculating that the moisture is no longer getting caught on the flat plastic that was giving a sharp edge to the transition from shank to stem and eliminating the smoke bottleneck.

17. dhintonca

dhintonca Member

Super - another happy camper///// smoker. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.