H&H English Blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Dave Dueck, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

I'm thinking of placing an order soon for a can of Brigadier Black Bull Run and would like to pair it with an 8oz can of H&H, a nice full English Blend. The 10 to Midnight and Larry's Blend varieties seem very popular, and Obsidian and House of Lords also caught my eye. I've not smoked anything bolder than Dunhill 965, although I greatly enjoyed that mixture. Can anyone expound on the special characteristics of each of these blends? I'm very curious and intrigued. These seem to be very well regarded blends for a wonderful price.

2. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I recently cracked an 8oz tin of Larry's Blend. I've only smoked it a few times so I can't offer a solid opinion. I find it to be a very good smoke but not as robust as I would like in a Latakia blend. It claims to have upped the amount of buttery orientals, but I have had blends with more of a buttery note. I am fairly sure that you will like it though, and from what I've read on here and on TR.com you are unlikely to be disappointed.

Dave Dueck likes this.
  3. Biggles

Biggles Member

Black House has really impressed me, absolutely delicious. A very balanced smoke between the latakia, turkish and virginia. The supply has been a bit touch-and-go, but if it's in stock, I'de say grab some!

Dave Dueck likes this.
  4. PipeWife

PipeWife Member

Quick note on Obsidian: it is not exactly what most would call "an English" blend. It IS quite tasty IMO, and it does have latakia, but if you get it thinking "English" you may be disappointed. If you go into it wondering about a different way of blending lat, you may just love it.

House of Lords is a pleasant english-style blend, although someone here mentioned Sunjammer is supposedly Russ O's version/tribute to 965. I have not tried the fuller/heavier english-style blends, as that's not something that tickles my fancy. Victorian Stroll and Sunjammer are currently open on my desk and I enjoy those. My current preferred cold weather lat blend is H&H Mt Marcy.

Dave Dueck likes this.
  5. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

Thanks all! I really am looking for something more predominantly English - I've had lots of sweet, lightweight crossover blends (Shortcut to Mushrooms, Frog Morton, Grampa's Blend, English Luxus) and I need to try something solidly latakia-based and strong, I think, dialing back on the sweetness. Note sure yet what I'll buy but Larry's Blend is sounding like a clear favourite in these forums and that's a good place to start :)

6. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I've been giving the Larry's Blend a solid testing since your original post. For me it works far better in a large pipe than in smaller bowls. For some reason, whenever I smoke it in a smaller bowl it has real trouble staying lit, and the relights mute the flavours somewhat. I'm smoking it as I type in a Blakemar XL billiard and it is excellent.

7. keen smoke

keen smoke Member

I can vouch for Larry's Blend, Blackhouse, and Magnum Opus. All very tasty (and very different from each other) and worth exploring. I've also had Daybreak and it was very similar to EMP, which was cool... but I can just smoke EMP if that's what I want (though I spose Daybreak is a deal less expensive).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.