H&H

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Stinger4me, Sep 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stinger4me

Stinger4me Member

Today I received a catalog from Pipesandcigars.com. I was looking at the Hearth & Home blends and wondered what the members think of the blends they have to offer. I enjoy Virginias, English and sometimes an aromatic. I would appreciate comments from those who have tried them.
    Thanks very much.

Stinger

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I like the Steamroller, unfortunately it is only offered in bulk and the only from P&C. If Smokingpipes offered it (they have better prices on P&C's blends, somehow) I'd smoke it regularly.

Nice, strong(ish), burley dominated blend with a decent measure of latakia. Not an English blend, but a good blend.

Classic burley kake is really nice. I like it a lot.

Lakeland Brickle is good. Lakeland Brickle Fortissimo is better.

I think I've only smoked those four. Those four are very nice, and suggest the rest of their tobaccos deserve a try at some point. A lot of people really love a few of their blends, and the ones I've mentioned don't seem to be the most popular, so I imagine there is a reason for it. Russ must be a heck of a blender :th1:

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I was excited thinking the H&H was meaning Half and Half [ Loving the new Lane version ] . People seem to like the Hearth and Home stuff . I havent enjoyed any of it yet . Like GLP [ which I dont care for either ] , I have yet to try them all but am less motivated to do so . It's high quality stuff , I'll give it that much . I'm sure theres blends they make that I would enjoy

Coda likes this.
  4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Have you tried the burley kake Ruff? I would bet money it's something you'd like a lot

Rewster66 likes this.
  5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Yup , tried it ... didnt dig it . Put it next to a Wessex Burley product or MB GE ... now thats some Burley

6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

You know...I haven't smoked Burley Flake, but Burley Broadcut, while it has a nice flavor, bites me kinda bad. I haven't smoked it in a while though, so I ought to give it another try before long. I loved the taste, but it just brought on the stinging. Burley Kake is great, imo, and doesnt bite like that

7. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Ive had some of the Larry's Blend...its delicious...its smoky, sweet, spicy, creamy...its delicious...

user2725 likes this.
  8. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I would recommend Ambassador - a medium English with sporadic hints of sweetness.

9. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

I am very fond of Anniversary Kake & AJ' s Vapor.

10. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

I like the Louisiana Red, though my latest 8 oz. tin needs some drying before smoking. I'm also enjoying the Anniversary Kake, Black House, Rolando's Own, and AJ's Vaper. I also like the sweetness of the LJ Heart Virginia. The Black House is a wonderful smoke, so if you like English, give it a try.

11. will

will Member

H&H has some good blends, Burley Kake is great and I am also digging AJ's VaPer and Larry's Blend.
    Fifteen bucks for 8oz does not hurt either.

SouthBound likes this.
  12. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Was just looking over some of their blends. I've had lakeland brickle. I'll have to try some others.

13. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I love the H&H blends. Ambassador's blend is a nice medium English, Anniversary Kake is a good Va/Per and Classic Burley Kake has a nice alcohol taste. Great blends!

14. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Interesting batch of blends.

I loved AJ's Vaper when I first smoked it and bought a pound. Then I discovered C&D's Bayou Morning and liked it better. Bought a pound. Then I discovered GLP's Telegraph Hill, and don't have much use for the other two.

I thought Black House was a pretty fair match to Sobranie 759. But I prefer the original Sobranie.

There are other H&H blends that are very good but nothing stands out except for Classic Burley Kake and Lakeland Brickle. I consider it an aromatic rather than a straight burley, and it's probably my favorite aro. More tobacco than flavoring. THe brickle is very good - not as good as an actual Lakeland, but good. I'm excited to try the fortissimo that Flatbush Paul traded to me.

15. krusty

krusty Active Member

The deal that P&C affords with the Hearth and Home sampler makes it easy to try out the blends. I've taken advantage of the sampler many times and hit upon these as winners for me.
    AJ's VaPer
    Louisiana Red
    Stogie
    Ten to Midnight
    Virginia Spice

Then there's the Marquee series that offers up Magnum Opus and Sweet&Savory amongst others. The Magnum Opus is a must try for anyone!

16. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Larry's Blend and Black House are top-notch IMO.

17. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Angler's Dream is an H&H blend, isn't it? I like that.

18. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I am a fan of the H&H lineup. There are a bunch of blends in there worth trying. Anni Kake is one of my favorite vapers. I also like AJ's vaper and Rolando's Own. Blackhouse, Magnum Opus and Sweet and Savory are really good too.

There are plenty of H&H blends on my need to try list. So far there are at least as many hits as misses in their lineup for me of the ones I have tried. With alot of their blends in the $15/8oz range I think they are a solid value for some quality tobacco.

19. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

I agree with Glenn. The price and quality of the H&H line is tough to beat. Yes there are a few misses in their lineup, but the hits are very much worth the money.

20. Dan Manchester

Dan Manchester Member

I haven't been disappointed with a Hearth&Home/P&C blend yet. Larry's blend, Magnum Opus, Black House, Great Hiatus, Cerberus, Marble Kake and VR Blend are the ones I've tried. My favorite is Great Hiatus which is actually under the brand name SHPC but blended by P&C.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.