1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Half Meer Lined

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Iain, Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iain

Iain Active Member

A while ago I got an Estate Meerschaum Lined Bulldog made by Kilimanjaro from Ebay, haven't smoked it more then a couple of times because it seems a little odd, I'll try my best to describe why.

Firstly it isn't Briar, I'm not even certain it is actual wood, the grain is a little too perfect and not natural looking.
    Secondly only the top half of the bowl is meer lined, but this seems to be the way it was made, like there's a step in the bowl that a ring of meerschaum sits on (if that makes sense :confused:)

Maybe it's normal, I don't know because it's the only meer lined pipe I own.
    Anybody else have one like this.

2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Never seen a meer lined pipe that was like that.

3. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Bizarre. Why line half the pipe but not the bottom? Seems like that's where it would do the most good. I wonder if it's one of those Brylon things...

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Alot of African pipes I've seen arent made of briar and have designs that dont make alot of sense . I've seen a couple Kilimanjaro pipes . I would imagine it dosent taste very good to smoke , maybe . I would be carefull w/ pipes that arent briar ... some are ok [ safe ] like Morta , cherry and beech . But other woods have oils and resins that I'm not sure how safe it would be to smoke . If its not stamped briar I'd be cautious .... thats just me though .... Honestly , I could tell ya some stories of guys having bad reactions to unique woods . Anyway , A picture would be cool

5. Iain

Iain Active Member

Here's a couple of pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Active Member

Im not an expert but I agree with the guys above, from what I've read if you were only goin to line half the bowl with Meerschaum why the top and not the bottom which would do the most good?

doyou have anyway of contacting the maker (or the buyer on eBay) and finding out a little more about the pipe? Just to be on the safe side.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It's not briar ... not sure what it is.It looks smoked for sure .. probably wont kill ya ........................ today :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.