1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Happy ordering mistake

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by SandSquid, May 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandSquid

SandSquid Member

I was shopping online and came across a very nice looking estate "Peterson Calabash Rustic" for not a huge sum of money so I snarefed it up.
    What I didnlt realize is the size...it is a Dunhill Group Size 2
    This thing is teeny-tiny and ohh so cute. -->product page< --

But the best part of it is I can fill the bowl and leisurely smoke it to the botrtom in a typical 15 minute "coffee(sanity) break", and being a clencher, it does not tire my jaw.

I seriously need to be on the lookout for more of this size

2. Beale

Beale Active Member

Very nice Pipe! Well done, Beale.

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Peterson has. Some very nice "teeney tineys"

Calabash
    Barrel
    Tankard
    Belgique

I smoke the Belgique & Tankard and am very pleased with them . They're great for a quick smoke. One word of caution, they are small and though Petes are the "tanks" of pipedom, these little Peters are more fragile than standard size Petes. Corn-gratz on the score!

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

4. snowman

snowman Member

real nice looking pipe, Enjoy in good health.

Alan.

5. Marc

Marc Active Member

You need a Falcon pipe with a couple of extra bowls, would be the ideal pipe for your deployment!

6. SandSquid

SandSquid Member

Donations are gladly accepted.

7. jmit

jmit Member

8. SandSquid

SandSquid Member

Just been doing some "research" on Falcon's...
    I'm both perplexed and fascinated by the tgechnical descriptions read, but I guess I still don't "get it".

9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

If you are talking about the cooling properties and such, don't bother. True or no, the reasons Falcons are worthy additions to a pipers arsenal are their repeatability and durability. The draught hole on the bottom means a dry bowl, smoke after smoke. The aluminum stem means it can take a beating. If you could only have one pipe overall, it would be the best bet going, since 'rest' isn't necessary. They can be cleaned mid smoke or after smoke, and be fired up again and again. A breeze to clench, too. And affordable...can't forget that.

Just don't expect oohs and aahs from the peanut gallery.

But yeah, for camping, traveling, or in your case, a deployment, it would be an ideal companion.

Stay safe, Tony.

10. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

It should smoke shag-cuts like Arcadia and Black Shag really well!

11. yinyang

That's a good point...those small bowls, and shag, both promise a short, sweet smoke...something that often needs to be considered with time constraints at work. Stepping out in the middle of winter for a short smoke is another, but I doubt Tony has blizzards to contend with ATM. :)

12. SandSquid

SandSquid Member

Never had a shag cut, but a small bowl is actually a good thing here. Can't tell you the number of times I've placed what I though was an extinguished, partially smoked pipe in my pocket and walked back inside, only to find a few minutes later smoke wafting from my pocket. :oops:
    THIS particular peanut gallery is most intrigued by gadgets and anything "high speed/low drag".

13. yinyang

Well, Tony, a Falcon may fit the bill on that end...definitely not a throwback to olden days, what with a metal stem and all.

My apologies for sounding pushy about Falcons (assuming it comes off that way) but I believe it may be the best all around pipe for the job and environment you're in. Field stripping and cleaning them only takes the tail of a Tshirt and a huff down the stem and you are ready to fire again. Save the maintenance for your weapon...

14. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

Nice pipe! Congrats.

I agree that for your deployment, it might pair up nicely with a Falcon (or Grabow Viking) and some spare bowls.

15. Marc

Marc Active Member

A Falcon and a spare bowl is all you will need, the bowl size is about a Dunhill size 2.

16. SandSquid

SandSquid Member

thanks folks.

17. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Falcons would definitely be "high speed/low drag" as far as pipes go. It's kind of like the M4 of the pipe world. Modular, made of aluminum, and any obstruction in the gas tube is going to make for some colorful language.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.