1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

hardcastle - to buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by skoots02, Jun 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skoots02

skoots02 Member

Ive come across an old hardcastle camden - unsmoked, still in the box. Ive heard these era hardcastles are like Dunhills with a few scrapes and dings? Is it worth $55 US dollars? Any hardcastle supporters care to help??

2. Luckistrykes

Luckistrykes Member

i believe they are dunhill seconds

3. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Hardcastle

Didn't know if you had read any of this. I'm not much of an English pipe guy, but $55 seems a little steep considering that there are lots of really good pipes that go for less than that on ebay.

4. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

Every Hardcastle I've ever owned was a great smoker. It's really up to you whether you feel the pipe fits your aesthetic and your wallet. For $55.00, it would have to be a pretty Hardcastle for me to buy it.

:thumbsu:
    -- Carl

5. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Hardcastles have the name of being "good smokers" and today aren't the cheapest of pipes to buy new - I have also heard that at one time they were Dunhill seconds but am sure they are made in their own right now. The price does seem a little high for merely a second handgood smoker though,

Best

Gerry

6. ryan65

ryan65 Member

I've seen new unsmoked savinelli roma's on ebay that sold for 40-50$ range and I can tell you they smoke beautifully and look nicer than hardcastle's in my opinion.

7. skoots02

skoots02 Member

thanks fellahs - that's kinda what i thought. The difference for me is no internationl freight $ and risk buying off USA Ebay. Pipes like this come up rarely in NZ - so i may put in a suggestion for an early birthday present to wifey.

Appreciated your comments

8. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

I have a hardcastle old bruyere that I found in a bin at a pipe show. Brought it back to life with sandpaper & carnauba wax. It's a good smoking pipe & it only cost me 10 bucks
    [attachment=699:P6230592.JPG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.