1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Hardwood pipe question

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by MakDragon, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

So I am in one of the chain pharmacy stores the other day and saw a display of those hardwood pipes that were right next to the cobs. Didnt get one, but what are all your thoughts on these pipes? Similar to cobs? Waste of money? Novel experiment?

2. bowlerallover

bowlerallover Member

If it's Missouri Meerschaum, it's worth buying. Cheap, durable, and just a good quick smoke for me. I have the bent version and I love it. I'd pick up more than one if I were you, but that could just be me. Hope this helps.

Mac

3. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

i've got a pair of those--for the money they are good for special situations--heck sometimes i smoke 'em just because i feel like it:)

bowlerallover likes this.
  4. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Well, once again I am against the norm, but to me, they are terrible pipes, smoke hot and I threw mine out after trying it. Briar yes, corn cob yes, Meers, sometimes, anything else nadda, life is too short.

Rewster66 likes this.
  5. shadow

shadow Active Member

I'm surprised they sell pipes in pharmacy stores!?!?:msty:

6. Aristocob

Aristocob Member

I did a vid on this pipe a short while back when we added it to our website. It's not a bad smoke at all.

MakDragon likes this.
  7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

We have a long tradition of that here. Most of the OTC tobaccos, some Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipes, and Dr. Grabow pipes are still sold in drug stores to this day.

shadow likes this.
  8. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

While I listen to Strongirish and respect his knowledge. I disagree, with him here. I think life is too short, not to give it a try. I use them for aros, and after a few bowls, they smoke well. They do however smoke a little hot, but I have briars that do the same.

Heck, what's a couple of dollars, anyway.

9. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I've never had one(MM hardwood), but from what I've heard, they don't smoke nearly as well as their cobs.

10. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Thanks to all!!

11. Trippwire

Trippwire Member

I have the bent one, it's my work pipe that I keep in the car. No big deal if it gets lost or broken, smokes ok... just a bit hot. Maybe it's the humidity here, but the bowl has a slightly greasy feel during the day. Smoked some uni flake in it yesterday, it's all good.

12. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

I don't care for the hardwoods either, very hot burners.

13. el guero

el guero Member

Kind of interesting that they are made of birch, makes me want to try my hand at making one myself, seeing as how we have tons of birch back home in AK.

14. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

T
    They say Cherry make a good pipe...

15. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

They simply don't appeal to me. It seems they have the worst characteristics of both briar and cob with none of advantages of either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.