1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Has anyone ever tried...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by jirohen, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jirohen

jirohen Member

Has anyone here tried one of those mini meerschaum pipes by Royal Meerschaum Pipes? I have yet to even smoke my first bowl to see if I like the hobby, but I still wonder how they would be.

http://www.amazon.com/Meerschaum-Pi...s=miscellaneous&ie=UTF8&qid=1316497860&sr=1-1

Please move this if this was posted in the wrong thread*

2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Right place; useless tobacco pipe. Probably better for pot or hashish but this is not my (or the forum's) area of expertise. If you want to get introduced to pipe smoking, get a Missouri Meerschaum cob (not one of the mini ones), a golf tee, a bag of skinny fluffy pipecleaners and a pouch of Prince Albert, Carter Hall or Captain Black.

Buying a meerschaum pipe with good smoking qualities takes some question-asking and careful vendor selection - we have plenty of meer expertise here. Mini meers and the more conventional, but smallish, bowl sizes are terrible smoking pipes in my experience. Meers can be great starter pipes, too, but making a good selection is crucial. Expect to spend around $90 and up for something you'll appreciate. I understand the allure of a $45 dragon's claw wrapped around a skull pipe. Paperweight.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Moo nailed it.

Except they aren't that good as paperweights, either.

jirohen likes this.
  4. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

Listen to the Mooster......he will not lead you wrong.

5. Brian Powers

Brian Powers Member

Since the topic of cheap meerschaums has been raised. Has anyone else purchased from AND Meerschaum? I bought a large smooth for around $50 and have been pleasantly surprised. I remember back in the day my grandfather saying that meerschaum was the best kind of pipe to get and how expensive they were. I guess with all the advances in transportation, the Turks can sell their wares globally where 30 years ago it wasn't as practical. The AND meer is smoking VERY nice. We'll see how it holds up (and how it colors).

6. user1975

user1975 Active Member

+1 on what Mr. Moo says!

7. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

These mini-meers from the bay are the best way I know to turn a person off of pipe smoking. I've had a few, gifted by well-meaning friends and family. They are made from pressed meerschaum dust...not 'real' meerschaum. They will fracture when they get hot....four out of seven for me.
    If you are new to pipe smoking, I would seriously advise you to look to a good "Missouri Meerschaum" corn cob pipe...less than $5.00 most places. These certainly are NOT fancy, but they will give you an excellent smoke, are hard to hurt by even the most novice of smokers, and if you decide that the pipe is not for you, you are not out a lot of money. As for tobacco...I always advise against aromatic tobaccos to start out. They smell great, but are loaded with humicant, which makes for a very hot smoke, especially when you are trying to absorb all the other nuances of pipe smoking. Start off with a nice OTC blend like Prince Albert or Sir Walter Raleigh....both are a mild, easy to smoke burley blend without all the syrup.

8. jirohen

jirohen Member

thanks again for all the replys guys, I got all the info I needed, and also my package of the two cobs and CB Royal came in yesterday + the other essentials. now all I have to do is find a nice and relaxing place in this desert town since I forbade myself from smoking in my parents house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.