Have I gone mad? Ordered 8 cobs

Discussion in 'Corn Cob Pipes' started by Ephraim, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Hey guys.
    So today I was looking at my bank account, and decided I had enough to add a few pipes.
    So I ended up ordering 8(!) Missouri Meerschaum pipes.
    Most of the 6 MM cobs I currently own are over ten years old, and still smoke as good as ever...but I figured what the heck, I'll get 8 more :)
    From P&C I ordered: 2 Legends (bent and straight), a Washington (Straight), a Pride (bent), and 2 Ozark Mountain Hardwood pipes (bent and straight).
    The Ozark Mountains will be my first venture into hardwood pipes. I'm sure I'll enjoy them, and plan on dedicating the two to aromatics, as I hear the Ozarks seem made for such tobacco.

From WV Smokeshop I ordered 2 more MM cobs: a Pony Express (straight) and one of those cool little Eaton pipes (also straight).
    These are two of MM's smaller cobs, which I've been wanting for a while to take care of my "quick smoke" urges.

So have I gone mad? After these 8 pipes arrive (soon I hope!!), my pipe rotation will consist of 14 Cobs! :puffy:
    (Oh and I also own two briars that see little, if any, action).
    What can I say...I love MM Cobs :th1:

Spillproof, ChristTiger and BradNTX like this.

2. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

Not at all, in fact, I think you need a spool, a gent and a diplomat to round out your collection ;)

3. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Thanks I agree :)
    I'll likely be ordering a Gentleman and Spool this week (I already own a Diplomat). And possibly a MacArthur...though the size is a bit intimidating.
    Cobs are so fun and cheap, plus you know your getting a great smoker as I've yet to encounter a bad MM Cob.

Oh yeah and I might as well order a Great Dane Egg shaped cob as well. :puffy:

sillyoldbear likes this.
  4. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

I'm also a bit curious about the new "Woodie" (Maple) pipes MM offers as well. Looks like they might be fun for experimenting with various stains and a bit of carving, perhaps.

The Ozarks I ordered are Birch wood, I believe?....very curious to see how they compare to the Cobs.

sillyoldbear likes this.
  5. leacha

leacha Active Member

As you know I'm new to these cobs. I now have 5 (4 diplomats, and 1 5th) plus 1 maple diplomat. They all have the nose warmer vulcanite stems. The overall length, with the stem, and feel make them truley enjoyable to me.

Ephraim, I do not know how the Ozark will smoke. The maple I have isn't my first hardwood, BTW. I've put one bowl through it so far and it adds a touch of sweetness. That'll eventually fade and it'll smoke like a regular pipe. For the price you can't lose.

Ephraim likes this.
  6. sillyoldbear

The Ozarks are made of the same wood as the shanks on all of the MM cobs so the first few smokes will be rough. Persevere, they're well worth it.

Ephraim likes this.
  7. mitchell

mitchell Active Member

It's spelled PAD not MAD!

Ephraim likes this.
  8. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Crazy Generous. :ohyh:

Ephraim likes this.
  9. wooda2008

wooda2008 Member

Nope, not until you buy 2, no 3 grab bags

Smokey Tom and Ephraim like this.
  10. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

You need a General or two. ;) I like WV Smoke Shop. I've ordered from them a few times.

Ephraim likes this.
  11. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

Ozarks smoke really good...give em a couple smokes to break in...I smoke mine often while doing things around the house

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  12. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I'm hankering for some new corn burners myself. A Fifth Ave, a second CG, a natural freehand, and a couple more vintage cobs.

Ephraim and MainePipe like this.
  13. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Thanks for the reassurance of my sanity guys :)

Grab bags?? Not sure I've seen those when shopping.

Bubbagump- You know what, I might as well get at least one of everything MM makes. That shall be my goal from here on out :)
    Now I need to build a nice display cabinet for all these cobs.

bubbagump and MainePipe like this.
  14. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Thanks.
    Would you say they have more in common with cobs or briars? I'm really excited about the Ozarks. They have such a simple, functional look that I find attractive.
    Hopefully my orders will arrive soon...

15. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

Ephraim likes this.
  16. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Cool thanks. I'll be ordering a bag.
    I wish I could just do one order instead of paying for shipping 3 or 4 times...oh well, it's that time of year.

17. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

I received most of my cobs in the mail today.
    I couldn't help but try out one of the Ozark Mountain hardwood pipes. The taste of wood was intense! To me a new Cob (as in corncob) tastes kinda sweet and fresh... but this Hardwood (Birch) pipe tasted foul.
    I realize of course that I just need to break it in, but with corncobs this is never a problem. I guess I'm just not used to the taste of a fresh hardwood pipe.
    Any suggestions with breaking it in? Maybe I could sand the interior of the chamber? Hold it over a flame and char the interior?

sillyoldbear likes this.
  18. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

You've lost yer mind ! :xd:

Those Hardwoods might be Birch , I hadnt thought of that .. I guessed Beech . Anyway , they smoke great ! They add a little bit of flavor which I cant explain . It isnt unpleasant and it's quite mild . I have one that I smoke in the barn a lot , a straight one . To me , it favors a Cherry Blend . A PSFer turned me on to MB 7 Seas Red [ a mild cherry ] and it shines in a big way in the Hardwood pipe ! So I smoke Cherry blends in it mostly and enjoy it a lot ! It's really hard to beat any MM product and I could see someone just smoking them only . I use the filters ... love it

Ephraim and sillyoldbear like this.
  19. sillyoldbear

No, don't sand it, you're just going to have to start again. My only advice here is to keep going, once they're broken in they're damn good smokers and well worth the two or three terrible smokes during break in.

Ephraim likes this.
  20. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Thanks Ruff. :D
    Yeah I'm going to break these 2 Ozarks in quickly, because they do indeed smoke fantastic...the taste though, well it might be varnish or burning wood. Not like an actual Corncob or Briar break-in taste.
    Anyway I'll persevere because they look awesome and will, hopefully, taste good as well :)

Oh and I'm also breaking in a Pride, Washington and Legend today and they are all the usual great Missouri Meerschaum quality (and taste good).
    I love MM Cobs :puffy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.