Heading to the Tobacconist - need advice

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by jdto, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdto

jdto Active Member

I am heading to this place this afternoon. I am stumped as to what to try. I currently have the Brigham Maple Vanilla as my reintroduction to pipes, but it is running low and I'd like to try something different. Any suggestions off this list? I'd like it to be relatively sweet and easy to smoke.

http://www.casablancatobacconist.com/Pipe.html

2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Well, what I like that's on the list is Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake, Squadron Leader, McBaren Navy Mixture, and Erinmore Flake. I don't know if you're wanting to try your hand a flakes, but I find them very enjoyable.

WrightwoodJohn and jdto like this.
  3. jdto

jdto Active Member

I will be sure to give them a try. At this point, I am easing my way back in after not smoking anything except the occasional cigar in a long time. I have been leaning toward the flavoured tobaccos for the start, but I do remember I went away from the vanillas and stuff after the first initial period the last time I started with pipes, so I'd imagine it would be the same this time around, as well.

I get the feeling I'm going to be visiting this place on a regular basis.

ArtisanArcher likes this.
  4. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Ask your tobacconist. Tell him what you like and ask for suggestions or top sellers. If he's worth his weight, he should be able to offer you some suggestions. Bring a pipe with you too. Usually if there's bulk on hand they should let you try a little sample.

jdto and JescoWhite like this.
  5. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I feel completely inadequate to answer because the only one on that list I've smoked is Captain Black White. :oops: That said, I guess maybe I should try some more of the stuff on this list! :D

6. jdto

jdto Active Member

Just got done. The place wasn't bad. A nice big humidor full of mostly cigars, though there was a decent layout of pouches of tobacco. I didn't see any bulk. He also has a lot of pipes on display, though the pricing seemed high (then again, I guess I've been looking at online pricing where you have to factor in the shipping). He's got a lot of cigar stuff, some pipe stuff and also fragrance and head shop knick knacks like glass pipes and tons of rolling papers.

Of course, I played it safe and picked up a cherry flavour of Mac Baren. I'll probably head back there again early next week and try a couple of the suggestions from this thread. My next stop will likely be at Thomas Hinds, which I hear has great stuff and great service.

7. jdto

jdto Active Member

Ok, so I decided to head back to the same place today while out for a bank run. I picked up the Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake, as well as a Brigham Algonquin 2-dot Bulldog #216, which as at a reasonable price and seemed to be well-made. I looked at a couple of other pipes, but I noticed one had the draft hole a bit above the bottom of the bowl, while the other one I liked had a rather large flaw on the rim. So the Algonquin won it.

I also noticed they had some Solani 633, of which I've read good things. I think I might pick some up next time I'm there.

BigJ likes this.
  8. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

I think Mark steered ya right on that SG Virginia...

jdto likes this.
  9. jdto

jdto Active Member

Not a bad start so far (with three more pipes incoming).
    [​IMG]

10. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Very good advice

jdto likes this.
  11. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I like their Algonquin. Have been thinking of getting one myself.

jdto likes this.
  12. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Great lookin' pipe

Motard and jdto like this.
  13. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Congrats on the purchase!

jdto likes this.
  14. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Nice haul.