Heavenly smoke

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Stewiebob69, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stewiebob69

Stewiebob69 Member

Oh ....... just been to heaven & back, i'm sure. G&H Ennerdale. Wonderful stuff. I smelled inside pack 1st, and smelled very rich & aromatic - almost exotic compared to Best Brown, but couldn't put my finger on it.

Anyway, went on My Smoking Shop website, and this is the description:

Our best selling flake by a wide margin. Predominately virginia leaf from Brazil, Zimbabwe and Malawi (86%) but with the addition of sun cured Malawi (10%) to add sweetness, strength and to cool the smoke and Malawi Burley (4%) to "carry the flavour" in addition to its cooling and strength qualities. (Burley is very good at absorbing casings and flavours) A background flavour of Almond is enhanced with the addition of fruit flavours, vanilla, and the special 'English type' flavours which give this tobacco its distinctive, yet typical 'English' Aroma associated with the UK best selling brands such as Condor, St Bruno and mellow virginia.

It wasn't on my suggestion/shopping list, just an impulse buy. So glad i did tho'. Room note is something special too.

2. ryan65

ryan65 Member

that sounds tantalizing :groucho: looked at 4noggins for some, says its got that soapy taste, gotta alot of that from the SG black & brown ropes which i hated; however, didnt get that from 1792 so maybe this one is for me

3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

You enourage me to try some. G&H has some masterpieces out there that don't get a lot of discussion. (I have been awed by their Dark Flake (http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=D&TID=562) in spite of the fact I don't favor strong blends; I call it Malawi-Wowee. The stuff has stage presence. It has legs. It stands on its own, if you know what I mean.)

4. Stewiebob69

Stewiebob69 Member

What a difference a hour makes, 60 little minutes ...... Not quite the same ring to it as the song. Never mind.

Anyway, the point is, when 1st smoked Ennerdale, I put it in my pipe and left for a hour or so to dry out a bit. The smoke was heavenly ..... as said. However, patience is a virtue which i need to put into practise. I had another smoke after dinner, but smoked it nearly as soon as I loaded my pipe. Mistake!!!! Did not enjoy it half as much - too in your face - the room note is still great tho'. Live & learn, the harder way. A bit of forward planning will always be in order before smoking it from now on.

5. Stewiebob69

Stewiebob69 Member

Well, every cloud has a silver lining. I smoked some Mellow Virginia from same pipe last smoked ennerdale, and it was the most enjoyable & interesting smoke of MV I've ever had. :thumbsu:

6. Stewiebob69

Stewiebob69 Member

Thanks for direct link to review. Just had a gander. I'll put it on my ever expanding shopping list. :thumbsu::startle:

Kind Regards

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

It is truly brilliant when you discover a tobacco you really take to and get "one of those smokes" that you remember for years - indeed as someone once said, that's the reason most of us stick at the game.

I always try to keep a rotation of a few regular tobaccos so that when I come back to a real favourite the taste comes through fresh instead of to a jaded palte.

The fashion now is to dedicate specific pipes to different blends - I don't; I always think a Friendly Ghost can add a certain something!

Happy smoking

Gerry

8. raffles07

raffles07 Member

From what I remember Ennerdale has a BIG topping. Might burn off as you get down the bowl or you just notice it less as you get used to it. Anyway, sounds like the ghost of Ennerdale gave MV an extra demension. I'll have to try it.

9. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

Hello Forum,
    Ennerdale is a great smoke, I have found that if I rub it out and leave for 3 hrs I always get a great smoke.This tobacco has to be dried to get it's full flavour / taste. :thumbsu:

10. Stewiebob69

Stewiebob69 Member

Hiya Ryan65,

Just thought I'd get back to you regarding that soapiness of Ennerdale. I've smoked it 4 times now (2nd time went wrong), but three times now I've broken the flake up and stuffed it in my pipe and left it for 50-60 mins, and consistently got an amazing, mellow but flavoursome smoke. The topping is there, but quite subtle and not overwhelming (unlike 2nd smoke). The fourth time I lit up, I did get a slight soapiness, but that soon disipated when I carried on smoking it. I'm quite sensitive to soapiness in tobacco, and it does make me feel sick. That's why I personally don't like Condor original ready rubbed (green packet), it made me feel ill. But i didn't get that from Ennerdale at all.

Again, the room note is brilliant. I smoked it in the utility room, and purposely closed the window and door to fill the room with smoke. I went to the kitchen to make a cup of tea, and went back into the utility room to smell the aroma - absolutely great.

Take care & happy smoking

Stew

11. Stewiebob69

Stewiebob69 Member

Hi Gerry,

I've just been looking through some of the posts I've made and responded to, and the responses I've received, to revise what's been said on certain points really. Anyway, I'd like to apologise because I've just realised I've been spelling your name incorrectly despite you writing it at the bottom of your posts. Just a mental block, suppose, but I feel a bit foolish now I've realised. Well, I've unblocked my mental block now, and will spell your name correctly from now on. Especially as I owe you that respect as you've been so kind in sharing your wealth of knowledge & experience of pipe smoking and tobacco, and it's history.

Cheers:cheers:

Stew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.