1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Heckuva second

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Tony Malerich, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I was poking around eBay and I found this listing for three stemless bowls. Two of them were uninteresting to me, but the third was what appeared to be a rather fine Irish Second. I grabbed the lot figuring that one was worth it to me and I could pass the other two onto guys who like to refurb. Well, they all arrived today and I have to say this Second is just STUNNING. There are some minute dimples here and there, but otherwise the only flaw is that big fill right at the top of the bowl on the outside. I suspect finding that broke somebody's heart in the Peterson factory. This pipe probably should have been a high grade (IMHO). I look forward to getting a stem on it and smoking it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

That is good looking! Heck if one was too picky he could top that apple to remove the fill and make it a prince, but I think its perfect fill and all.

3. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

Well done. Yes, it must have been quite disappointing for the man making that pipe to get as far as he did and then discover the flaw. Beautiful piece of wood.

Spillproof likes this.
  4. krusty

krusty Active Member

That could make for a really nice pipe given the grain of what would be the remaining briar.

5. Tony Malerich

I definitely wouldn't attempt that myself! Would leave it to the experts. It's certainly more bowl than I 'need' so smaller would be fine. It would still be pretty hefty in "prince" shape... enough to justify a churchwarden stem perhaps... hrm...

That said, for now I'll keep it as is and we'll see how goes. Somebody on the Peterson forum suggested "gosh, if you just put a silver cap on it you'd never know!" Not that that would necessarily be worth doing, but it really would look amazing!

6. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

Actually the flaw is so small even if you did top it to me it would still be a good sized apple. Really, if it were mine I'd smoke the daylights out of it and leave it alone, but it is hard to leave well enough alone sometimes isn't it?

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

A metal rim would have covered the fill. Heck, they could have charged more for the silver!

8. Tony Malerich

Exactly! This stummel got a highly polished natural finish to show off that great grain. If they'd just topped it with a cap it would have basically become this pipe. Hey look, $600 pipe! Instead it's a Seconds for... $40 new? No complaints here.

Lithua pipe, Preacher1611 and dmkerr like this.
  9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Here's your shot at making a high return investment out of this pipe, Tony! :D

10. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

That's a nice pipe, great score! Seconds can be some awesome smokers, IMHO.

Lithua pipe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.