Hello from Dondi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dondi

Hello FOGs,

I began smoking pipes at the start of this decade... ;)

I’ve been a heavy cigar smoker (mostly Cubans) for over 20 years, and late last year I decided that I would switch to pipe smoking. Mostly so that I would get less flak from the wife for smoking at home.

I’ve been a FNG for about a week now, and just wanted to say a proper hello. My name is Dondi Mapa and I live in the Philippines, halfway around the world from most of you, so I’m usually posting while you guys are sleeping!

Before making my first pipe purchase, I learned as much as I could about my new hobby from the internet. I learned about the different pipe types and their proper care. I saw many excellent forums, but eventually decided to join PSF... how could I resist after viewing this very interesting thread:XD:

Seriously though, I love the give-and-take between members on this forum, I really like the colors, the interface, and the way the threads are organized, and it’s a big plus that I can read this forum on the small screen of my Palm Treo!

Right from the start, I knew I would have to buy at least two pipes to alternate between smokes, and then as I read more about ghosting, I realized I would need at least six!! I smoke about 3 bowls a day...
- The first pipe I bought was a Dr. Plumb dinky nine, I learned about bowl sizes!
- The next pipe was an Aldo Morelli, I learned to watch out for overdrill!!
- The next two pipes were Petersons, bent billiards, I learned the need to do a pipe cleaner test!!!
- My fifth pipe is a Big Ben bent apple, which has fills, but I learned it smokes really well anyway!
- My sixth pipe is in the mail, a Tinsky Cabernet Half Bent Billiard with Panel Shank. I’m breathlessly awaiting its arrival :p the Tinsky is my first pipe priced over $100, and I can’t wait to get it in my hands!

The first few bowls I ever smoked were a disaster! I committed all the newbie mistakes... I wish I had had a veteran pipe smoker beside me... it was only after watching a clip on youtube that I realized I wasn’t using the tamper often enough, and from then on, I was able to cut down my relights to a bare minimum. With regard to building up cake, I tried Jesla's honey tip on my two Petersons (one is a Green Celtic, the other a Rosslare, both are bent billiards) and I only needed one tiny drop to coat the entire bowl. I’m observing that the honey makes the cake build up much more evenly! ...of course it could be that i’m just imagining the difference :eek:

The first tin of tobacco that I purchased was Erinmore mixture, then I tried a VaPer (K&K 2010), a burley (Borkum Riff) and a latakia blend (Old Dublin). I’m going to try out some aromatics next... this thread gave me some excellent suggestions!

I’ve gotten a lot of great tips so far from the forum, including what to buy next (a Xikar pipe lighter) and cool tips for cleaning my pipes.

If there’s one tip I can offer in return, it’s this: don’t clean your pipes while the wife is in the room, the smell could cause your pipe-smoking career to end prematurely!!!

Cheers! Thanks for the tips, and I'm happy to be part of this forum!

Rugbysh9

Dondi that was a GREAT intro. We're glad to have you in our ranks. Between you and Saint we're now a forum with global membership.

Andrew

TheSaint

welcome!

im from australia ... so there are some that are closer than you might think

do you have problems getting a wide variety of tobaccos in your country? its a big problem here for pipe smokers

OldAtHeart

OH MY! That's terrible advice, Moo!!!

Welcome, Dondi! Sounds like you're on the accelerated curriculum. I wish I had progressed so quickly. Cheers!

Dondi

TheSaint said:
welcome!

im from australia ... so there are some that are closer than you might think

do you have problems getting a wide variety of tobaccos in your country? its a big problem here for pipe smokers
g'day mate! yes same problem here... i have yet to try ordering online, am afraid of what taxes may be levied... but will probably have to do that once my current tins (bought in malaysia while on vacation) start running out!

Dondi

Mister Moo said:
Sounded better than a reminder to keep your bowl creamed. So much for pipe smokers to remember...
Mister Moo, glad to know that we can always count on you for a well-turned phrase :cool:

Dondi

OldAtHeart said:
Welcome, Dondi! Sounds like you're on the accelerated curriculum. I wish I had progressed so quickly. Cheers!
Well it seems like the faster I make mistakes, the faster I learn (or so I hope).

I've learned I shouldn't have rushed out and bought pipes helter-skelter. Instead, bring a LED flashlight and a pipe cleaner when buying... or buy direct from a reliable pipe maker (and there certainly are quite a few on this forum).

I also wish I had gone through a basic curriculum where I could have learned the basic tastes of a virginia, a burley, a perique, a latakia, etc... so that when it comes to tasting blends, it becomes easier to pick out and highlight the different flavor facets!

I had done something like that when I started my wine tasting hobby. I learned to distinguish a cab from a merlot, a shiraz from a malbec, and so when I started tasting blends, my palate could appreciate the impact of the various combinations!

TheSaint

Dondi said:
g'day mate! yes same problem here... i have yet to try ordering online, am afraid of what taxes may be levied... but will probably have to do that once my current tins (bought in malaysia while on vacation) start running out!
its roughly $300 per kg tarrif with 10% GST Tax on the whole amount (worth + postage) in australia

its worth calling your customs agency and finding out ... they were really helpful for me

if its small amounts over here than most of the time u wont get charged - but dont depend on it

Dondi

TheSaint said:
its roughly $300 per kg tarrif with 10% GST Tax on the whole amount (worth + postage) in australia

its worth calling your customs agency and finding out ... they were really helpful for me

if its small amounts over here than most of the time u wont get charged - but dont depend on it
OUCH!! :kicknuts:

Status
Not open for further replies.