Help a newb decide...pipe break in and tobacco flavor

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Ashley Boyd, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashley Boyd

Ashley Boyd Member

OK, I still consider myself a newb, learning the ropes of properly breaking in a pipe and such, and I have two new tobaccos I want to try, Frog Morton on the Town and on the Bayou. I want to ensure I give them both a fair shake, with no outside influences from tainted pipes, so I want to make sure my pipe is broken in correctly before I give them a whirl. In the past, I have only had basket pipes and a few Dr. Grabows, and I just packed whatever I wanted to smoke in whichever pipe I wanted and went to town. I have now acquired a Peterson Kapet that I have only smoked aromatics in and I have an Invicta briar on the way that I want to dedicate to English blends. I also have a few cobs I want to dedicate to one or the other. My question is this, should I break in the pipes, especially the cobs, with a different tobacco and then move to the Frog Morton, or go ahead and break in the English blend dedicated cobs with the Frog Morton? I would plan to use the same strategy I guess with the Invicta when I get it. The Peterson had a pre-chared bowl, so I guess I could just jump right in on the aros for this pipe, and of course my Dr. Grabows and basket pipes have really only had aros in them, so that is what I keep smoking in them. I want to build up a few dedicated English pipes and I want to do it correctly so I give the new blends I try a fair shake....make sense?

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

No!....at least not to me - life, and pipesmoking doesn't really need to be that complicated!- sorry!

ol gto and Hannibal like this.
  3. Ashley Boyd

Ashley Boyd Member

Well, ok. So just pick a pipe, pack it and go? Does not matter in regards to any break in period it anything?

4. Hoshnasi

Hoshnasi Member

I have pipes dedicated to aromatics and then all the rest. I've never had a problem in ghosting with non-aromatics.

5. justMike

justMike Member

All the pete's I have (and I have a few now) came pre-charred, but they all needed a breaking in period; the first few bowls had a definate taste of charred briar to them. I haven't bothered with dedication, just picked the pipe and blend I fancied at the time and loaded up. Ghosting hasn't been an issue if you discount the effect Condor had (bought in a moment of dire desperation).

6. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I used to worry about this too, but I got so many pipes I forgot what was set aside for what! I have a copy dedicate to some mint tobacco, a Tinksy for Penzance and another for Firedance. Other than that, I choose the pipe I wanna smoke with the blend I am in the mood for. When evaluating a Toby, I pick a pipe I think I will enjoy for a few weeks, and enjoy the blend in that pipe for as long as I want.

7. Ashley Boyd

Ashley Boyd Member

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. I have a MM Diplomat I need to break in anyway, might give the FMOTT a run in it tonight.

8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I usually burn two or three bowls of PA in a new bowl to get a good char and cake started then I move it over to my other tobacco choices.

Jay likes this.
  9. jgstudios

jgstudios Member

I've reached a point where I've begun to "sort of" dedicate a certain bunch of pipes to anything with heavy virginia, and another bunch to latakia blends. I don't usually smoke aros anymore so it's not an issue, but I think if I did, I might also have a bunch for that. As the months and years go by, and I accumulate more pipes, it just sort of happened that way, but it's NOT for "ghosting". I've never noticed that problem. It's really more for an aesthetic and practical reason. Some pipes just seem to better work with virginias for me, such as a big bowl bulldog. It just seems to burn better in there. I also have noticed that certain pipes burn latakia blends better. That's really why some pipes became "dedicated". But it's not a hard and fast rule. If I feel like using a pipe for a particular toby, then i use it. It's not that big of a deal.

10. Ashley Boyd

Ashley Boyd Member

Thanks so much for the input guys, enjoyed a bowl of FMOTT last night and it was quite nice in my MM Diplomat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.