Help choosing some must haves

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverFox

Ok so I am pretty much an obsessive type of person and I know it. So no use fighting it.

So here is my dilemma, I have a couple of tins coming in and I already am impatient for some more. Also I am going to order another pipe, as it seems that having a couple around so they can air/dry is important. I have some cobs coming in as testers mm legends but I understand them to be a smaller pipe so I want to get a little bigger briar that I can work in I will save the meer for another day.

So onto the dilemma part.

If you were to suggest a tobacco that all pipe smokers should have in their collection what would it be? As in what is a must have tobacco.

I am not interested in Aromatics as yet. I may try them down the road when I know what I am doing pipe wise but until then I will stay away from them.

My preference is a very flavorful tobacco but not a strong one......if that makes sense.

So post up what your must haves are please and after a few thoughts I am going to order up the most common choices.

If you could be so kind as to be sure it is available on 4 noggins before suggesting that would be great.

I will probably get three tins.

Much appreciated gentlemen

I'll second Squadron leader and Full VA flake.

Another good one is Escudo, and my favorite is Anniversary Kake by Hearth and Home (found in the bulk section of 4noggins). These two are VaPer blends which are virginias mixed with a little perique tobac. Absolutely delicious.

Zanaspus

MacBaren Club Blend - If it had more of a punch and didn't singe my tongue, I might smoke it constantly.

The Frog Mortons

Escudo - I don't find this overly strong, you may.

McClelland 2035.

Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme.

Just a few thoughts. My plan is to try them all. ;)

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Muhahaha

Jesla has been sucked down the Mixture vortex. It's good stuff, but Navy Flake is way easier for a noobie to control.

Club Blend is of course the tobacco of the Gods, but it takes awhile to get it under control, as Zanaspus noticed.

I'm really enjoying this Mac B Navy Flake. I would recommend it to anyone. I'm a newb though, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

(I'm really glad those abbreviations got posted. I've been wondering around for a week now wondering what the heck everyone was talking about. I feel enlightened... :) )

user0003

JSewell said:
......(I'm really glad those abbreviations got posted. I've been wondering around for a week now wondering what the heck everyone was talking about. I feel enlightened... :) )

.....(oh they've been posted for a while now)............

cst

I am having a hard time living without Peterson's University Flake. (My local guy has let me down two weeks in a row. I hate to buy stuff online, when I could just give him the money but hey, I think I have given him long enough)
Another really good one is MacBaren Dark Twist Roll Cake.

I am actually breaking in a new poker with Dark Twist mixed with some Davidoff Scottish Mixture as I type this.

Jesla said:
.....(oh they've been posted for a while now)............
Maybe I should have termed that differently. "reposted"; "brought to my attention"; "shined light upon". I suppose any of those would have made more sense.

Mister Moo

Gone but not forgotten
Staff member
Here's my take on your question.

1. Escudo, Hamborger Veermaster, Full Virginia Flake or Reiner Long Golden Flake
2. Stokkebyes Luxury Bullseye Flake or McClelland's Navy Cavendish
3. Squadron Leader or Rattrays Red Rapparee
4. Dunhill 965 or Peter Stokkebyes Proper English
5. KrumbleKake, Penzance or Kajun Kake.
6. Carter Hall, Old Joe Krantz or Haddos Delight.

Here are options that cover the range of tobacco genres and cuts, not a loser in the bunch.

I can think of one pipe tobacco that was truly pivotal in shaping my tastes over the years. I highly recommend every pipe smoker give MacBaren Virginia No. 1 a try at some point. It's a great smoke that is readily available. Nicer smoke shops will often have it in bulk which is always a plus.

Rugbysh9

Mister Moo said:
Here's my take on your question.

1. Escudo, Hamborger Veermaster, Full Virginia Flake or Reiner Long Golden Flake
2. Stokkebyes Luxury Bullseye Flake or McClelland's Navy Cavendish
3. Squadron Leader or Rattrays Red Rapparee
4. Dunhill 965 or Peter Stokkebyes Proper English
5. KrumbleKake, Penzance or Kajun Kake.
6. Carter Hall, Old Joe Krantz or Haddos Delight.

Here are options that cover the range of tobacco genres and cuts, not a loser in the bunch.
Moo, for someone new to the piping world, how the hell are they going to be able to find 965??? :XD:

FWIW I agree with all Moo's suggestions :D

Status
Not open for further replies.