1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Help ID/Date This Peterson

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Smitty68, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smitty68

Smitty68 Member

I recently acquired this pipe at an auction. From the little bit of searching I've done, I gather this is a Peterson Flame-Grain 03S with acrylic mouthpiece. However, all the images I've found of the flame-grains either have a silver band or, if no band, is not the amber acrylic mouthpiece. Also, the mouthpiece on my pipe does not have the Peterson logo. Any help in dating this pipe would be appreciated! Thanks![​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jwh891

jwh891 Member

Not an expert on Peterson's but I've never seen a stem like that... it might be an aftermarket product someone added on when the original stem broke..looks pretty sweet though

bubbagump likes this.
  3. TWolf

TWolf Member

If I'm not mistaken the Country of Manufacture on it says " Made in the Republic of Ireland". That would place it after 1949. Not much, I know but it's a start. The stem doesn't look original. Never seen one like that on a Pete.

bubbagump likes this.
  4. miracle419

miracle419 Member

Interesting stem. I have a freehand Calabresi with a stem that EXACT color, and it's missing its signature "C."

5. miracle419

miracle419 Member

6. miracle419

miracle419 Member

Maybe the silver was harvested and stem altered.. ..

7. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

My money is on replacement stem as well.

DeusExMachina likes this.
  8. DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Member

The acrylic looks way newer and cleaner than the rest of the pipe. It looks like it's had some smokes in it. Dings, scratches, knock marks, and some rim darkening. The acrylic looks smoked..but untouched. Any teeth scratches, or dimples? I would say a replacement, from the pictures. While I'm not sure on the date of her, I can say it has some great grain.

bubbagump likes this.
  9. Smitty68

Smitty68 Member

Thank you all for your responses! I wondered if the acrylic stem might be a replacement or if the Peterson logo had just been worn off. I doubted replacement simply because the transition point from acrylic to wood is so exceptionally smooth that I thought it had to be original.
    Regarding the Rosslare that was mentioned above...I saw that pipe and wondered if my pipe might be an older Rosslare, but for the band. I also saw the Aran 03 (http://www.peterson.ie/search?q=aran+03&x=0&y=0) on the Peterson website, but none of the images I've found of the Aran model show it to have the amber acrylic stem/mouthpiece.
    The acrylic does have have some teeth scratches but the barrel of the stem doesn't have any dings. The aperture of the mouthpiece has some darkening from it being smoked.
    Again, thank you all for your comments!

10. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

I'm thinking if it smokes good and you like it, most of the rest doesn't matter. Enjoy. :bing:

11. Smitty68

Smitty68 Member

Ha ha! True! :toast:

12. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

For what its worth, my first thought was also replacement stem. Not sure when the flame grain series started but that might be a pointer in the right direction

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.