1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Help identifying this Art Deco Aluminum pipe!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by dwpipes, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwpipes

dwpipes Sales Account

[​IMG][​IMG]

Howdy friends! I would humbly request your help identifying the pipe in the first image. There are no stampings or logos of any kind on this pipe. It came in a lot with a falcon and two vikings. The top of this pipe unscrews and there is a corncob insert with a hole dead center in the bottom into the aluminum chamber below. The seller suggested that it might be a 'Streamline', but indicated that he really didn't know.

The only pic of what is claimed to be a 'Streamline' (the second image) appears to be mechanically and visually different.

I have cleaned and polished the pipe, but have not reamed the corncob insert (wasn't sure if it is okay to ream them?). It looks very cool and reminds me of 1930's art, diesel-electric locomotives and pre-war air racers. I intend to give it a smoke, while waiting for feedback from the the 'cognoscenti'.

Thanks!

2. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

3. dwpipes

dwpipes Sales Account

Heck! I didn't even get the pipe lit yet! But thanks for the information and url. I'll check it out

4. dwpipes

dwpipes Sales Account

Well that was an interesting experience. As mentioned above the pipe had a used corncob insert, which I did not ream. I packed about two thirds of a bowl of a local house blend aromatic 'Scottish Mist' and lit it up. The quality of the smoke was good, i.e. relatively smooth, but the entire pipe (bowl, aluminum shank and the stem all got hot. It was hard to hold except on the stem and I nearly burned my fingers by accidentally grasping the shank a couple of times. It certainly doesn't shed the heat and stay cool to the touch like a Kirsten.

I think that if I am going to smoke a corncob, I'll stick with the Missouri Meerschaums. Although, I did just pick up a Kirsten 'G' with a used Missouri Meerschaum bowl. Should make for an informative comparison when it comes in.

5. TheLonePipeman

TheLonePipeman Member

dBear likes this.
  6. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

Very interesting.
    I would not have expected that at all.
    One would assume, that the cob would insulate the metal from heating up, but I guess not.

7. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

It may just be that the cob is so old and dried out that it's not doing its job? Can one still get replacement cobs for these....might be worth a few bucks to see.

8. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

MM took over Aristocob, but not sure if you can still order a liner/bowl.
    I saw some of those bowls have a metal bottom, I wonder if its being smoked fast enough for heat transfer through that metal bottomed bowl, along with a dried out liner?

9. dwpipes

dwpipes Sales Account

I think the cob may partially insulate the upper bowl, but the air duct out of the cob goes directly down into the metal base. The bowl, base and shank are all thin aluminum and seem to heat up quickly. The stem is hollowed out as if it might accept a large filter so no mass there and lots of volume for hot smoke. Also, the tobacco was a bit on the dry side and I may have smoked it hot?

There are several completed auctions on eBay, which were selling liners only, but none at the moment.

10. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

It uses a filter, I wonder if the increased airflow from no filter could be heating it up a lot more, depending on the smoker of course

11. dwpipes

dwpipes Sales Account

Thanks for the url. Looks like a great site where one could spend a lot of time just perusing it!

12. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

13. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I buy bowls from MM that do not have shank holes drilled. PM me if you would like a new insert. I might be able to fit one.

Raffxr7 and Thuber88 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.