Help making a DIY bacci pouch.

Discussion in 'Pipe Accessories' started by cmatsangos, Nov 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmatsangos

cmatsangos Member

Good evening gents.
    I've seen the Sorringowl and sons pouches that quite a few members have, and to be quite honest.....I really envy you all.
    I was wondering if anyone had ever attempted to make something similar, using everyday stuff found lying around the house.
    I 'm really interested in making a pouch similar to the Sorringowl pouch, but with cheap everyday materials... some sort of cloth etc.
    The aim of all this is to make something to carry my bacci around with me to work or anywhere else, and not having to worry if I lose it.

Anyone have any ideas? All advice / help/instructions will be most welcome and greatly appreciated.

2. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend cloth. Not only wouldn't it seal against air drying out the tobacco, it might wick moisture out. I suppose cloth would be ok if you used a vinyl or plastic liner.

cmatsangos likes this.
  3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

When I lose my roll up pouch , which is every other day it seems , I use a Half and Half pouch . Most of the OTC pouches work good for awhile in a pinch .Thats about as homemade as I've gotten

Tsalagi44 likes this.
  4. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

MikeInMaine likes this.
  5. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

I did the same. Used a Capt Black pouch until the plastic or whatever it is, was all cracked and the duct tape I used wouldn't hold it anymore. Then dog got chewed it up and had to throw it away. But it served it's purpose.

ruffinogold likes this.
  6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Wow ... is that thing really colorless ?! Or am I seeing just the inside

7. cmatsangos

cmatsangos Member

Thanks guys.
    I had seen somewhere on the forum that someone had made a pouch using old army gear..and then used a nylon liner but I cant seem to find it any more.

8. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Every one I've seen is a pale yellow. The color rendition on the pic ain't too good so it's likely pale yellow too.

ruffinogold likes this.
  9. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Yeah but carry them round crammed in your hip pocket, the eventually take on new random coloring.

Coda likes this.
  10. marklar

marklar Member

not exactly a pouch, but an empty candy/mint tin works great. just dont put more tobacco than you can smoke in a few days because none i have found form a great seal.

cmatsangos likes this.
  11. cmatsangos

cmatsangos Member

Thanks marklar

12. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

cmatsangos likes this.
  13. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

That's what I thought (I got this case with a vinyl pouch). Tobacco dries out fairly quickly in this pouch. I wound up just taking the tobacco pouch out and putting a ziplock with tobacco in its place.

http://wvsmokeshop.com/pvc2pipecombocase.aspx

Maybe a roll-up vinyl pouch would be better than this button up one? I'm pretty sure that the liner in this one is plastic, too.

14. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

Yeah, roll up pouches seems to keep tobacco fresher for me than pouches with a zipper or snaps. If it's for only a day or two supply it doesn't matter but if you are filling a pouch for a 2 week trip it does matter.

bubbagump likes this.
  15. marklar

marklar Member

not a problem :bing:

16. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

17. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Exactly. I have found this useful in many applications.

18. Super K

Super K Active Member

I use old chew cans that have been washed and aired out. They do fairly well at retaining moisture for a week or better. I use them for my truck/work pouch as they're small enough that I can pack a few blends, they also fit nicely in a pocket.

Summit likes this.
  19. sorringowl

sorringowl sorringowlandsons.com

Hey, Cmatsangos,
    I've been following this thread, and, I think a lot of the suggestions from our fellow forum members on what pouches to buy and what materials to use have been really spot on.
    There are quite a few, inexpensive materials you could use to make a simple pouch that will do the trick. I, myself, have used many of them, including a Capt. Black pouch--which works great--as well as a plain old "sifter pouch" (like Arkie suggested), while I was still researching what materials to use in my own pouches.

I guess some of the other suggestions would work just as well to keep toby fresh, like old chew cans, and soda bottle tubes, and such (although I haven't personally tried those), like the guys here mentioned (very creative, Gents, and all good suggestions to do the trick)...

Of course, Arkie is right, cloth would be good only if you lined it with some vinyl or plastic liner (which is why I mostly have made my pouches out of leather--which is a very good outer material to help keep tobacco fresh)...

But, since you started this thread by saying that you wanted to make a pouch similar to one of my own (I thank you, by the way, for thinking highly enough of my pouches that you would want to emulate them--that's the highest compliment), and since you asked for advice and instructions to make one, I thought I would throw in my two cents as to how you might accomplish that, using everyday materials you might find around the house. So, here goes (this is going to be long process, so, I'll detail this in another post)...

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
    Rockbass likes this.
  20. sorringowl

sorringowl sorringowlandsons.com

Here is a pouch I made, from everyday materials, I found in my house...

[​IMG]

Okay, I know what you're thinking, "it looks like it's made of leather." and, it is. And, you're probably thinking (if you've seen one of my other threads) that it looks a lot like my 2013 Limited Edition Christmas Pouch (and, it is, in fact, #4, of the series). And, I know you're probably thinking that it looks like it might be a little difficult to make, and that there would be all these different steps in making it, and that you might need a lot of tools, time, and trial and error to make one of these.

And, you're right. You would.

And, now that I think about it, it would probably be very difficult for me to go through, and guide you through the steps of making one, unless you actually could see one in person. And while I probably could explain each step here on this thread, and while I'm sure you could probably make a decent one on your own, after some trial and error, there's nothing like having one in front of you so you could actually see how it's made...

So, PM me your address, my friend...because this one is yours. Merry Christmas, brother! :bing: This one's on me. ;)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.