Help me fill the void

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Nightcap, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightcap

Nightcap Member

I have no desire, time or money to be "shopping" tobaccos. I know what I like, and what I have, but nothing in stock fills that Murrys Nightcap/965 smoke. I have read countless reviews and done extensive brand research, but it is nothing new. I smoked a silly amount of tins that I ended up leaving on the table of my smoke shop just to end up with my very few standards. All of these I like for very specific reasons, but above all I placed those two smokes as EPIC, and others will NOT replace them. In everyones opinion, I am looking for A Nightcap/965 replacement, as well as something similar to if not the original Balkan Sobranie. I know it was reintroduced and I haven't found it in stock anywhere. Surprise, surprise surprise.

Having not "whole heartedly" smoked in close to a year in a half, I find it paramount to reintroduce this back into my life. Thinking the reissued Dunhills would jump back in where they left off has left a void I need to fill. Everything else is just a nice change of pace.

I also noticed, I kind of forgot the lingo.... as I re-read and re-research things, I remember simple terms that haven't come across my tongue in a while, as well as brands that I have smoked, enjoyed, but never stocked up on. Imagine how interested my wife would become, talking about pipes, and pipe tobacco... She practically would beat me with one of her fallopian tubes. The choices and amount of similar descriptions are dizzying, and with the upcoming addition and Christmas on its way, the days of me ordering 250 bucks worth of tins and a new pipe are over. At least for now. I need to strike once and FAST!

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

If you're asking for suggestions to replace Murray's 965 and Nightcap, the simple answer is Orlik's 965 and Nightcap. I believe the usual e-tailers have them in stock... www.pipesandcigars.com and www.smokingpipes.com. There are probably others as well.

I guess I'm not sure what your question is. Are you looking for these specific blends or replacements for them (even though you said you're NOT looking for replacements, that's kind of how your post reads).

3. Nightcap

Nightcap Member

Kinda I guess.... What I mean to say is. I think the Orlik Nightcap and 965 are a far cry from the Murrys, and just wont do. What out there compares to the OLD NC/965. I have two rolls of Orliks, and thats where they will stay, in the rolls, and hopefully mature into predecessors glory. I am also looking for in stock Balkan Sobranie or something that compares. I have a few regulars smokes, that I like for different reasons, but they do not compare to, and are not replacements for NC/965.

(Working nights, I end up being awake for unnatural amounts of time, and probably make much less sense than I think I am. I hope this post makes more sense.)

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Have you tried P&W 400?

5. Nightcap

Nightcap Member

No I haven't. I don't even know the abbreviation.

6. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

The way I see it, there are two ways to deal with your problem.

1. Buy some "collectible tins" of your old favorites from the 'bay for a ridiculous price.

2. Write those blends off as fond memories, and find some new favorites! There are too many great blends out there, even some that were not around a couple of years ago, for me to lament something that's out of production. Stop by a B&M, and ask for a recommendation, maybe they'll have some open that you can try while you're there. You may be surprised.

Good luck finding your favorite blends, whether old or new!

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

P+W is Pipeworks and Wilke, if I remember right. #400 tastes like burning shoes, so it's a suitable replacement for many Dunhills.

Paul and HCraven like this.
  8. Nightcap

Nightcap Member

That a fine point Jussto. I think the problem here is I have a six month old daughter, just finished gutting my upstairs myself (plaster to sheetrock +new bathroom, which isn't really finished, if you consider i need to hang 13 doors from scratch) and we break ground this week on an addition. Perhaps I'm looking for that bit of lost sanity. Maybe I will hit the bay, or try a new recommendation. Dunno. I gonna finish up these open tin's of NC and 965 and see what I can find/order in a few days.
    I have some six year old Briar Fox that might hit the spot right now. Oh... I have seen it in here a few times... what is a B & M ? A pipe shop I'm sure, but can't figure out the abbreviation.

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

Maybe you could experiment with a current 965: Divide it into 4 portions and add to each one what you think is missing from the original: A bit more Cavendish, a bit more Latakia, a bit more Oriental...????
    Perhaps you can get closer to your fond memories of the original taste! Just an idea... good luck!

10. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

During Dunhill's absence from the market, a few other houses came out with 965 matches. A quick search of tobaccoreviews.com ("965") turns up entries from Altadis and Cornell and Diehl, among others. Perhaps you could give them a spin and see what you think. As you noted, Balkan Sobranie has recently been re-released, though production has not yet caught up to demand, which is huge. I don't think that any other tobacco in the known universe has been so frequently copied, with more or less success. Most of those matches are readily available through etailers.

Recapturing your long-lost favorites as you remember them is another matter. Many pipe tobacco brands have either been discontinued or changed hands in the last ten or twenty years, and many people complain that they aren't the same as they used to be if they are still available. I suppose the answer is to either accept those you can get as they are or find some new favorites. I wish there were an easier answer, but I'm afraid there isn't.

Oh, B&M is short for Brick and Mortar, that is to say an actual store rather than an online seller.

Take care,

Herb

11. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

If you want something that recreates the Murray's flavor of 965 and Nightcap I don't think you'll do better than Orlik's version. Because sealed Murray's tins were in fact made from pure unobtainium that was forged in the fires of Mt. Doom, I see where a lifetime supply would be pricey. Fortunately (for me) I already HAVE a lifetime supply of Murray's blends back from the $4.95/tin days. With the exception of EMP, Royal Yacht, 965, Nightcap, Elizabethan Mixture and all the rest I could probably be convinced to part with a few tins (someday in the not-to-near future).

Looking farther afield (if you don't want to finance some hoarding bastages retirement) there are some remarkable medium- and medium full english blends out there. They are not "thee" same as Murray's Dunhill blends but remarkable nonetheless and they have the benefit of being available for purchase, more or less. If price prevents you from buying a steamer trunk full of Murray's tins but you still would buy something special, explore Comptom's of Galashiels for more than the mystery of pinning down a shipping date.

The three latest entries in the "Stroll Down Memory Lane Attempting The Impossible" contest are:

JF Germain - Balkan Sobranie - the benefit of being very good yet sold out this week
    Hearth & Home - Blackhouse - the benefit of being very good and very available this week
    McClelland - Blue Mountain - the benefit of being very good and very available this week

12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Along with the PW&W #400, another blend that I've always felt out-Nightcap'd Nightcap is GL Pease's Quiet Nights. I'm guessing it was made with Nightcap in mind. Excellent stuff.

13. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Isn't Beck"s old limey bastard a well reviewed 965 replacement?

14. Nightcap

Nightcap Member

I just ordered a tin of McClelland Blue Moutain.

Rual. Whenever I see that guy I have found memories of watching game shows with my grandmother! I was always drawn to that guy as a kid.

15. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I've never had any of the Murray's tobaccos. Which I guess is a good thing. I hear them mentioned quite often. It's bad that they're not around but, for me, since I don't know what I am missing - I guess that's a good thing. I do see them on the bay but, then they start climbing out of my range.
    I have had the latest Dunhill EMP, I have no idea if it's near the quality of the early Dunhills but it's not too bad.

16. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Yer gonna smoke a turd in hell for that one, Bannard, or maybe Club. Either way, it ain't gonna be pretty.

Sasquatch likes this.
  17. kreinhard

kreinhard Member

I was thinking, "Huh, I apparently like the taste of burning shoes. Who woulda thunk it?" With growing boys around the house, there are a lot of old pairs of shoes laying about the place. I think someone just helped me save a lot of tobacco money.

OP: I can't help with direct replacements. But, there sure are a lot of *other* good tobaccos out there. For me, half the fun of pipe smoking is trying new tobacco.

18. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I've smoked Borkum Riff. You think hell-turds are worse? Cuz I doubt it.

Kreinhard, are you using a Ginsu knife or a food processor for those shoes?

19. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

Wow and I got hammered for steering a thread off course the other day.

20. Nightcap

Nightcap Member

I love when threads steer in and out of topic. When they go off and never come back, especially if the original point was never addressed, I don't think anyone appreciates it. It is probably tolerated in some posts and not others, depending
    on topic content, age of thread, and where the heck the tangent is going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.