Help!! New briar!

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Joe Meyer, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Meyer

Joe Meyer Member

I have dropped the cigarettes for a pipe! Today I purchased a new briar and I am struggling with packing the tobacco. My pipe has a deep bowl and no matter how many times I try, It seems I have compressed the tobacco too much. Any tips? I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!!!

2. Ridwaan Gallow

Ridwaan Gallow Member

as its your first one.. Let me be the first to say.. Welcome to the puffing family..

Now, being that your pipe is still brand new, only pack it halfway up.. Don't fill it up.. Two reasons.. The first is, you need to let the bottom ''cake'' first & that is a bit trricky if you start with ''full bowls''..

Secondly,, as you get used to packing the pipe, you'll automatically figure out how to pack more densely to the top and less dense at te bottom.. Good luck buddy.. Stay puffing..

3. Ridwaan Gallow

Ridwaan Gallow Member

oh.. And that is one very nice pipe which you have.. What make is it? Which tobacco (aromatic or English) did you get?

4. irish2fish

irish2fish Active Member

Try packing very lightly at first, packing what seems like a full bowl or 3/4 of a bowl. Then take a draw on it continue to add pressure until you feel like you are drinking through a straw. This should help you break it in by only smoking half bowls and give you a feel for packing as well. Welcome to the club and good luck.

Jussto likes this.
  5. Joe Meyer

Joe Meyer Member

I picked up an aromatic house blend. It lacks the robust flavor that I was hoping it to have but good nonetheless. Now about my pipe... I do not know who made it. I picked it up off of the display wall. "Made in Italy" is engraved on the side.

6. Joe Meyer

Joe Meyer Member

Thank you both for your advIce. I will give it another go this evening. Is it bad that ever since I bought this pipe, that it is constantly on my mind? I really enjoy it.

Sasquatch, Johnny Dingo and WAMPipe13 like this.
  7. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

What I would do, is just gravity fill the bowl, as in just pinch a bit of tobacco and let it fall in the bowl by itself. Fill the whole bowl that way and when you tamp it, the level of tobacco should be just right for the first few break in smokes.

Joe Meyer likes this.
  8. Ridwaan Gallow

Ridwaan Gallow Member

made in italy.. Thats not a bad pipe.. One thing you can be certain of, is that it was made by one the more affluent pipe makers.. But they are very precise and articulate in what they actually put their name on.. I'm not dissing your pipe.. I have a few of the same quality pipes.. And i enjoy the hell out of them..
    Don't worry about the name, i was just enquiring.. i have a few pipes which are just stamped with the words ''REAL BRIAR''.. Similar story to your pipe.. I love all my pipes equally! Haha.. The fact that yours says ''made in italy'' actually tells me allot, cos those guys do everything with passion..

Is it a very wet cavendish blend? Cos then i'd advise you to let it dry a little before packing the pipe with it.. As for the fact that it's constantly on your mind.. Don't worry about that.. The craving to hold your pipe in your hand & ''mock-puff'' it constantly? That only gets WORSE.. Haha.. I always take one to work with me & just hold it in my mouth as i go through the days work.. But i don't take any t'baccy with me to work in fear that i might just get crazy & light it right there at my work station! Haha..

Morse and Johnny Dingo like this.
  9. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

It's difficult to describe how to pack a pipe without actually showing you. Most people pack their pipe much to tightly the first few times they do it. Pack it loosely and draw through the pipe without lighting it. You should feel no resistance at all. Gently tamp the tobacco until you begin to feel some resistance as you draw through it. Light the pipe, very gently tamp it again and relight the tobacco. You won't have to continue going through this whole routine (except the final tamp & relighting) after you get a "feel" for how tightly to pack your pipe which usually takes only a couple of days.

Joe Meyer, Jussto and Klauswermann like this.
  10. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

No, that's not bad. That's the way it is supposed to be. :D

11. Goat

Goat Active Member

Welcome to the forum... and welcome to the madness.
    My suggestion would be to go get yourself a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe. The are realy cheap (on the wallet, not quality) smoke great, and a good pipe to "learn" on because of the draw that it allows. You'll get the hang of it before to long so don't worry too much.

Oh.. Yea.. One last thing. If your get tongue bite (and you will) put the pipe down for a day or so and give your taste buds a chance to recover. It's really hard to tell if your smoking right with a fried tongue.

12. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Welcome to PSF!

It is very hard to describe just how tightly a pipe should be packed, but the answer is usually looser than you would think, you can tamp a pipe that is too loosely packed (you'll know this by having an easy draw and a pipe that goes out after two or three puffs) but you cannot easily loosen up a pack that's too tight (hard to light or get smoke through with a tight draw).

Another possible factor is that many times the aromatic house blends are on the wet side and are very hard to dry out. Wetter tobacco requires an even looser pack than dryer leaf. You may want to try something like Prince Albert or Carter Hall if you're coming from cigarettes, they're easy to find, easier to pack, burn very well, have more of a tobacco flavor than an aromatic, and seem to me to be a little more satisfying when you have a nic craving.

If it were a bad thing, no one would hang out here:th1:

13. Joe Meyer

Joe Meyer Member

I inspected my pipe more thoroughly and it has "H.I.S" on the side. I am having some difficulty researching this name but nevertheless I am enjoying it very much

14. Albert

Albert Active Member

Joe Meyer likes this.
  15. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

16. Ridwaan Gallow

Ridwaan Gallow Member

i wouldn't worry too much.. Once you found what it means, maybe Hazardoulsy & Impeccably SPECTACULAR!. Then just smoke it.. I'm certain it'll be a great smoke my buddy.. I didn't mean to make you feel paranoid about your pipe.. Sorry if i did..

Note to myself: please find medication for my ''foot in mouth'' disease..

Joe Meyer likes this.
  17. Joe Meyer

Joe Meyer Member

I really appreciate your input. No worries! With everyones help I do believe I am on the right track. Today I was able to have a pipe that A: smoked very easily B: did not result in the typical burn C: did not require AS many relights. Thanks again all!!

Albert likes this.
  18. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

First off----WELCOME to PSF---glad you are here my good folk. NO matter what style, make, or shape of your pipe--enjoy it. Let me start off by telling you that as was already said its a little tough telling you how to pack, or fill a pipe----HOWEVER----as my late, and beloved great grandfather taught me---take some tobacco, and gravity fill it in the bowl--NOW---take your finger----like a baby----LIGHTLY tamp it---LIGHTLY. Then another pinch---LIKE A WOMAN--tamp with your finger--a little tighter---NOT MUCH tighter. Then the third pinch---LIKE A MAN.-------when you are done take your finger, and push lightly----the tobacco should have a slightly springy feel to it. Put the pipe stem to your mouth----draw gently befor you light---you should NOT have restricted draw, or blocked feling when you draw inward. If you do----START OVER---no big deal. Some say simply gravity feed tobacco in the pipe--tamp, and light---I do this often. OH----AND I SAY OH---if you have to relight several times----NO BIG DEAL----pipe smoking is supposed to be enjoyable--its not a contest to see how fast you can finish a bowl full of tobacco----gentle sips---enjoy the tobacco, and again if you have to relight----who freakin cares----ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE---and again I say---welome to PSF.

Joe Meyer likes this.
  19. Ridwaan Gallow

Ridwaan Gallow Member

i just finished a bowl now.. It lasted a full three hours.. About ten relights.. A few of 'em were because i put it down when it was hot.. The wife says, ''the pipe sees you and then it starts getti g hot already!''

but thats beside the point.. Relax with your pipe.. I smoke right to the bottom sometimes.. But some of the time i get a bit of dottle in my ''bottom''.. :) ..
    The point is.. Take it easy.. You'll get it..

Joe Meyer likes this.
  20. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

This is a different way to pack that you may find worth trying, too. It works best for ribbon cuts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.