1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

help purchasing a 45.00 pipe.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by MrJarvis, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

Im buying a meerschaum from Altinok. After shipping I will have spent 155 of the 200 I have to work with.

With the 45 left, Id love to get a nice bent smooth unsmoked cherry colored briar to add to my rotation.

Can I get anything decent for 45 bucks including shipping? I can buy from my B&M, but im assuming the markup they add on will be about the same or more than shipping costs from a reputable online retailer.

I know pipes in this price range exist, but im not looking for a disposable pipe. Im looking for something nice that I will keep.

Thoughts?

2. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

If it were me, I'd add $25 and get a brand new Invicta Briar (start at $65). Peter does a lovely cherry finish that is available on just about any pipe (search PSF for Invicta Briars and you'll see photos of mine and Marker's).

Or, add $35 to your $45 and you could get just about any Peterson or Savinelli shape (~$75). Can't go wrong with either.

Or, get two MM's and a Forever Stem and stay in budget. Or two DG mod-cobs. Or.... ;-)

MrJarvis likes this.
  3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I reckon it will be difficult to get something decent, and ( for what it's worth ) I'd go for a brand new Falcon, and then have as fine smoking of a pipe as you could wish for!....good luck!
    OT

Johnny Dingo, MrJarvis and Spillproof like this.
  4. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

thanks guys.

5. AK Kilted Guy

AK Kilted Guy Member

6. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

these grabows...what can you guys tell me about them?

7. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

You could always spend it on some tins. :th1:

Artistik and Johnny Dingo like this.
  8. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

Grabow's smoke AWESOMELY for the price. If you go that route, I can't recommend the Royalton line enough. A Royalton Bulldog is a beautiful thing. Some of their lower end 'pharmacy' pipes tend to get ragged on, but I like 'em just fine. Not much else to say really.

TheMadMan likes this.
  9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

My wife got a Meer from Altinok and it rocks ! Grabows are good pipe I guess .. i just bought a new one a like it alot . Gonna have to buy another to make up my mind . I really like Kaywoodie pipes alot . For 45 bucks , you can get a Relief Grain [ sandblasted ] and a tin of stellar tobacco .... ya just cant beat a Kaywoodie .... Heres some woodieshttp://www.pipesandcigars.com/kaywoodie.html

10. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

11. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Grabow-Royalton-Smooth-Tobacco/dp/B005CBV7BS

12. Vaquero

Vaquero Member

Don't forget to take a look at the Estate pipes on Smokingpipes.com, there are usually good deals to be found on there. If you are into estate pipes, that is.

13. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Monkey likes this.
  14. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Try a clay. Cheap but an awesome smoke. Fragile...but I have been blown away by the way the clay pipes I just got smoke.

I got this one... http://pipeshoppe.com/ps_p2003S.php ...well three to be exact. I am a clumsy oaf at times. Especially when drinking!

15. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Smokingpipes.com has a fantastic sale going on right now on Tsuge pipes. Check it out. $45-$50.

16. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I'll throw Savinelli Duca Carlo in the mix, right color, right shape, right price. I have two and they're both great smokers.

Monkey likes this.
  17. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Yeah, that!

Also, look at La Rocca's.

18. Coldfront

Coldfront Member

You can add 10 bucks and get a Peterson or I would order a Benton from Iwan Ries in Chicago. Bentons are unique in that they are inexpensive machine made but they smoke great! You might have to get one with Iwan Ries stamped on it , but if you ask about Bentons they will know what you are talking about they have a kinda cult following. jim

19. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

I ended up getting a Dr. Grabows Omega and a new Zippo.

20. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I'm just back from my weekly trip to the B&M, they had recently taken delivery of some Invicta briars - the first ones I had seen 'in the flesh'. If they smoke as good as they look and handle, they will be superb value for money. I think I'll pick one up - next visit....I'm that impressed! - and no!, they didn't give me a pouch of baccy to say this!:D
    OT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.