1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Help selecting a pipe specifically for flake tobacco......

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Steelman, Jun 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steelman

Steelman New Member

I'm a newbie to pipe smoking, and I can finally smoke my English blends without much difficulty. I now want to make the leap to flake tobacco (specifically VA flake) and I want to purchase a pipe dedicated to this task. I generally smoke large sized Savinelli pipes, but my understanding is that large bowls do not necessarily provide an ideal home for the "fold & stuff" method preferred by flake smokers.

I was considering a Castello Lovat for this specific smoking journey....I'd appreciate any thoughts & suggestions. Some have told me to buy a "chimney" bowl specifically for flake tobacco...but I'd thought I'd use this opportunity as my first post. I've been reading this forum for self-education and I congratulate the members here for a job well done.

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie.

Regards,
    Ron

2. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I smoke a lot of flake. I have a few "Va-only" pipes, but the shapes are all over the map. I used to swear by a big-thick bowl (often rusticated) for flakes but have loosened my hold on that assumption.

I recently picked up a Stanwell "pot" shape. It is really a remarkable little flake cooker as it's a short bowl with great thickness all around. Another good option, imho is a brandy. Another would be 1/8 - 1/4 bent galleon. Bulldogs are great flake smokers.... I don't have a Costello Lovat but that sounds like a GREAT flake smoker. What was my point again?

Oh yeah, get one you like.

3. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

I smoke mostly Savinellis and the only one too big for a fold and stuff is the KS Baronet Bryeure (I think I spelled that wrong) but I'm a rebel and smoke flakes in it anyway.

Jammer and Spillproof like this.
  4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I'll happily smoke flakes in most of my pipes, but if it's a briar (which is not so often these days) I like one with plenty of bowl thickness.....something like this.....
    .......[​IMG]

Kiowapipe, Jammer and Spillproof like this.
  5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

.....or this!
    [​IMG]

6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

A straight Billiard, bowl size 2/3.

Stonewall likes this.
  7. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I'd like to smoke that. Reminds me a bit of the Pete Rosslare 999 (a personal fav).

8. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Agreed. I like chimney billiards too for flake.

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

You'll need a pipe with a bowl that is either large, medium or small (preferably large). It's walls should be thick, thin or medium. The bowl should be tall and wide, tall and narrow, tall and medium, medium and wide, medium and narrow or medium and medium. It can even be short and wide, short and medium or short and narrow. Freehand or standard shape. The standard shape can literally be whatever shape you like the best. The pipe can be meerschaum, briar, clay, metal, corncob or other non-flammable material. For lighting, you should use a lighter, matches or you can rub two sticks together. :D

Ok, I understand that the rules above can seem overwhelming, so let me simplify by saying you can use whatever pipe you like. I've folded-n-stuffed into just about every size and shape known to man with excellent results, simply by adjusting the number of flakes or how they are folded.

To be fair, start with a taller bowl until you get the hang of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.