1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Help to identify please?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by rusty, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rusty

rusty Member

Im smoking this meersham lined pipe, and wondered if anyone knows anything about it, its the one on the left of the rack as you look at it. It has made in Tanganyika stamped in one side, and Killimanjaro on the other, and also a white picture stamped in the mouthpiece, of what looks like a rhino? Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. rusty

rusty Member

Just a point, but I do find this one gurgles pretty easily, Which makes me take very shallow puffs, is this something that happens with this type of pipe?
    This is it, just so there is no confusion with my collection pic.

[​IMG]

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

Maybe "Kiku" think it's Swahili for "Pipe" - a well known make of African Meer. Tanganyka disappeared around 1964 so if it says that it's quite old. Does it draw freely unloaded? Maybe tight bore, maybe just needs cleaning with alcohol - they can bung up with gunge around the smoke hole at the heel.

Best

Gerry

4. rusty

rusty Member

Thanks Gerry, it does draw easily unloaded I think? The black pipe next to it has the same stamp, so it would seem these two were bought about the same time possibly from the same place? Ill see if my mother can remember anything about them, thanks again.

5. Stefan

Stefan Member

Hi, Rusty

How about a report on that old Ropp cherry wood pipe you have.

I had one a long time ago, I lost in my travels. Wish they were still on the market. I would say they they smoke better then a MM cob, once it got broken in.

Thanks, Stefan

6. rusty

rusty Member

Ok Stefan, Ill give it a go and let you know, but Iv not smoked a cob and dont have much experience with different pipes, but Ill see how it smokes anyway.

7. rusty

rusty Member

Just got it out, gave it a wipe and filled it with Condor. First Impressions, very surprised how small the bowl is, it tapers to a very slim bottom and doesnt take much tobacco at all, It smokes very easily, by that I mean it doesnt take much drawing to keep it going, very relaxed and slow draws and is very cool I think, as in not burning hot but feels cool in the hand, or slightly warm. No gurgle unless I draw a little harder to purposely hear it, but then there is no need to draw hard, its so easy to smoke. The mouthpiece which is missing a little from the end was loose in the stem, but its getting to be a firmer fit the more I smoke it, is this due to moister absorbing possibly? I must say Im pleasantly surprised how well this is smoking. Its a shame Ill never be able to replace the mouthpiece as I can see this getting rotated with my other faves. Maybe I can do a bit of diy on the broken edge of the mouthpiece and smooth it and shape it so its straight and doesnt look broken? Here are a couple of pics, to show what I mean about the mouthpiece. All in all a pleasant and easy smoke, I like it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Stefan

Stefan Member

9. Stefan

Stefan Member

Thanks for the report on your old Ropp pipe. Get a couple of MM cobs. Breaking in cob is not even necessary. Oh. if you do buy one or two cobs get a couple of spare
    pipe bits as they don't last too long.

Thanks again, Stefan

10. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

Wow! What a nice pipe!

11. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

12. rusty

rusty Member

Thanks guys, Ill take a look at that site too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.