1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Help with a Peterson

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Gotzskillz, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gotzskillz

Gotzskillz Member

I just recently bought a peterson rocky donegal estate pipe off ebay and have a question about it. As with any estate, the first thing i did was started to clean it. When i removed the stem i noticed it was a system pipe. Now what has me questioning is the stem. Ive noticed on some pipes there is a piece the protrudes into the system and ive noticed some that dont. The stem of my pipe has a little circular thing that piece that looks like it may have been longer and went into the pipe, but it looks like it was cut off. I was wondering if anyone could help me out? sorry if i incorrectly word anything, im a pipe noob. pictures attached.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

I don't believe that the Donegal Rocky is a system series. It might just have a very deep mortise to accommodate such a deep bend. I have a Pete B10, which doesn't come as a system pipe, and it has a deep mortise for the bend. Also, looking at the tenon, it appears to be a standard push-pull tenon instead of a military type found on system pipes.

So in short: not a system pipe, stem doesn't appear to be altered.

Also, change out that salt. It's time.

3. Gotzskillz

Gotzskillz Member

Thanks for the info and ill be changing the salt shortly. Its been sitting since 6-7 last night. The reason i thought it was a system is because it looks to be drilled like a system pipe. Also im not sure of the actual model. here is a picture of the mortise just to make sure:[​IMG]

4. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

What does it say on the side? It might actually be a system with a mortise that deep.

5. Gotzskillz

Gotzskillz Member

Its pretty worn and from what i can tell, it does say donegal rocky 221s.

6. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

I have exactly the same pipe. It's not a system pipe. That little piece sticking out from the stem isn't on mine. I think if you scrape the edge of it a little you may find that it's something that someone stuck in there, or that was just improperly finished when the pipe was manufactured. I referred to this pipe in the Best and Worst pipe thread. I loaded the salt in to the well, as well as the bowl.

Any more photos of the stem? It might also be a replacement that was made later on.

7. Gotzskillz

Gotzskillz Member

It could definitely be a replacement.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

Looks to me like a normal Donegal with a fishtail bit. The resemblance to a system pipe is because with a system pipe all they do is extend the mortise drilling further down the shank. I've encountered some premium systems that had a condenser in the end of the stem but I think the protrusion at the end of your stem has just not been finished flush. It'll clean up and be a good pipe but then again i'm partial to Petersons and rusticated pipes.;)

9. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

Yes, probably a replacement. Different profile as the stem flares out from any of the ones that I have.

10. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

I have two Pete's which are not system pipes and both are drilled exactly as your's is. I believe all system pipes have a military mount and a P-Lip, but I could be wrong about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.